Will I need a car/license for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApplicationAnxietatem

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may very well belong in the medical student forum but I'll post it here just in case.

How neccessary is owning a car for most med schools? I currently do not even have my license (it's not common here) nor even know how to drive. Is it something I should be focusing on picking up during the following year? Out of curiosity anyone know of med schools whose clinical sites are all accessible by public transport / bike / etc?

Sorry for the odd question just figure if it's likely I should start learning now! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This may very well belong in the medical student forum but I'll post it here just in case.

How neccessary is owning a car for most med schools? I currently do not even have my license (it's not common here) nor even know how to drive. Is it something I should be focusing on picking up during the following year? Out of curiosity anyone know of med schools whose clinical sites are all accessible by public transport / bike / etc?

Sorry for the odd question and thanks!

I dont have much info as to specific schools, but I'd take a guess and say you want to shoot for urban campuses (listed on the MSAR of each school). The bigger the area, the more public transport. If you get into a rural school there is a good chance you will need to get a car. I'd say get into a school first and then worry about how to get around. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on school. I am at a place you will most certainly need a car (not in urban area), but there's about 2% including myself of my class who does not own a car during the clinical year. Will limit yourself in placements and may have to grovel to the clerkship coordinators so you can get somewhere in or close to the campus. For FM rotation, though, >80% chance I will have to rent a car.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t need a car but it obviously depends on the school

Either way you’re gonna want a government issued ID so get it anyway.

Wait. Forget the car part. You don’t have a license?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait. Forget the car part. You don’t have a license?

I'm from the inner city where no one I grew up with drove, plus no one even had a car for me to practice with so never really crossed my mind haha.

That’s nuts. Then again I was raised in the burbs. But even when I lived in NYC for a couple years, I had my car, even if I used it once or twice. Parking / garage though... $$$

That’s nuts. Then again I was raised in the burbs. But even when I lived in NYC for a couple years, I had my car, even if I used it once or twice. Parking / garage though... $$$

Yup! Even if I did get a license I definitely would not have been able to get a car where I lived, impossible to park without paying premium garage prices.

You should get your driver's license regardless, because it's a useful skill to have no matter where you end up living and it can take a little while to get through the process. As far as buying a car--wait until you get into medical school and then ask the current students at your school if they need one. If 100% of them have cars--that's your answer.

If you don't want to be made fun of for being like Steve Carrell on The 40 Year Old Virgin, I would. But in all seriousness, if you don't have a car, save up to get one. If you want a social/dating life, you will need one.

If you don't want to be made fun of for being like Steve Carrell on The 40 Year Old Virgin, I would. But in all seriousness, if you don't have a car, save up to get one. If you want a social/dating life, you will need one.

Haha, thanks for the input. I'm 27 and have yet to run into any of those issues, it was more the need of a car to access clinical sites at most med schools (was not sure how often they are spread apart or not and as such if the requirement for a license/car is absolute).