Will I need to retake O Chem for an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exalya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 3.5 GPA. It used to be a 3.6, but I got a C- last semester (my only C range grade) in O Chem I. I didn't know until I was already registered for O Chem II. I'm doing better in O chem II, but I still might come out with a high C/low B at best. If (worst case senario) I get a C in O chem II, would I need to retake both to have a shot at an SMP? I'm already going to retake O Chem I in the summer, but if I have to retake O Chem II it might push back my graduation date, and that's the last thing I want. I would rather be doing an SMP than hanging out as an undergrad to retake a single class.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have a 3.5 GPA. It used to be a 3.6, but I got a C- last semester (my only C range grade) in O Chem I. I didn't know until I was already registered for O Chem II. I'm doing better in O chem II, but I still might come out with a high C/low B at best. If (worst case senario) I get a C in O chem II, would I need to retake both to have a shot at an SMP? I'm already going to retake O Chem I in the summer, but if I have to retake O Chem II it might push back my graduation date, and that's the last thing I want. I would rather be doing an SMP than hanging out as an undergrad to retake a single class.

Wrong question.

Right question: "will I need to retake to get into med school?" What are you going to do if an SMP lets you in with those grades, and then you can't get into med school with them? Would you rather clock more undergrad hours before or after that SMP?

Buckle down and do whatever you have to do to get a good grade in ochem II.

Also with a 3.5, you're probably wasting money on an SMP.

Best of luck to you.

I kind of assumed that getting into an SMP and then going on to med school was part of the question. And I don't know, a lot of other pre-meds give me flack for my "low" GPA (my pre-health advisor called it 'marginal'). If I apply for med school this summer I'll be applying before I have my grade from retaking O Chem I... I have very little confidence in my ability to get in. Perhaps unwarranted.

A 3.5 is only slightly below the matriculant average for MD schools (3.65 average) and is slightly above the average for DO schools (3.4 average). If you apply early, broadly, to DO, and with a high MCAT you shouldn't have any problems getting in. Even without the DO schools you'd still have a pretty good shot of landing some interviews. One way or the other a single C shouldn't hurt you that much. I would agree that an SMP is probably a waste of money, as they are generally designed for someone in the 2.8-3.3 range, but if you really feel the need to attend one no a C won't hurt you applying to those either. Two probably wouldn't either, but don't accept a C in OChem II until you've actually gotten one. It ain't over till it's over.

The only thing I'm not 100% clear on is if a C- is passing by AMCAS standards. I KNOW a C is passing, but I'm not sure if a C- counts or how AMCAS factors in the +/- system (my school didn't have one. Double check with your premed advisor to make sure. An SMP will not accept you if you haven't successfully completed all the prereqs for medical school.

In any event the immediate hurdle is the MCAT. Make sure you have a good plan of attack and get it done in time to apply as soon as the primary app is available.

G'luck