Will I receive my bonus if I leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mydogatemysuboxone27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, pharmacy manager from CVS here. I'm looking to leave in the new year, sometime before the bonus hits the account. Because I worked all year and hit my numbers, will I be entitled to that bonus or will they stiff me and not pay me because I'm no longer an employee? I've gotten mixed answers from current and previous employees and I'd like to get a definitive answer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there, pharmacy manager from CVS here. I'm looking to leave in the new year, sometime before the bonus hits the account. Because I worked all year and hit my numbers, will I be entitled to that bonus or will they stiff me and not pay me because I'm no longer an employee? I've gotten mixed answers from current and previous employees and I'd like to get a definitive answer. Thanks!
Expect to get nothing.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CVS bonus document says you definitely won't get it if you leave before you receive it.

Reactions: 1 users
CVS bonus document says you definitely won't get it if you leave before you receive it.

Most bonus plans anywhere say something to that affect. Deposit the check before you give your notice or kiss your bonus goodbye.

Reactions: 1 user
Damn, okay, I guess I'm kissing it goodbye then. Not worth waiting around an extra three months and losing the position.

I am almost certain you would get the bonus or a pro-rated portion of the bonus. I have know people who left CVS and still got a check for their unused vacation hours.

Congrats for leaving. I'm not looking forward to my 1st week of 2018 with 80 hrs cut on mySchedule....

I am almost certain you would get the bonus or a pro-rated portion of the bonus. I have know people who left CVS and still got a check for their unused vacation hours.

Unused vacation time must be paid out, it’s the law. Bonuses do not. I know, it happened to me.

Bonuses can net you a day's worth of parking in New York.

Go on family medical leave for 3 months while working at the new job.

Wrong. They only pay it if you are “laid off”.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats for leaving. I'm not looking forward to my 1st week of 2018 with 80 hrs cut on mySchedule....
This is exactly one of the reasons why I'm leaving. It's terrible that there's no wiggle room. Hopefully Walgreens is worth the switch..

What if you were to stay on as 'prn'?

That is a great question. I actually asked to stay on PRN but my pharm sup (a position that won't exist soon, nyhak) didn't let me. I didn't care enough to appeal to a higher power. In my case the bonus was negligible, but it is worth finding out for sure. The best answer would come from calling HR.

That is a great question. I actually asked to stay on PRN but my pharm sup (a position that won't exist soon, nyhak) didn't let me. I didn't care enough to appeal to a higher power.

Yeah from what I understand CVS is making it increasingly more difficult to stay on 'PRN' starting 2018 . My current pharmacist scheduler said that apart from being required to work one full shift at least every 60 days, if you are overdue in any single training module CVS will automatically terminate you.

Our store will be switching districts Jan 1st, so I'm still waiting to hear back from the new pharmacist supervisor if I will be allowed to stay on or not.

Yeah from what I understand CVS is making it increasingly more difficult to stay on 'PRN' starting 2018 . My current pharmacist scheduler said that apart from being required to work one full shift at least every 60 days, if you are overdue in any single training module CVS will automatically terminate you.

Our store will be switching districts Jan 1st, so I'm still waiting to hear back from the new pharmacist supervisor if I will be allowed to stay on or not.

That mentality (cutting prn folks) is stupid. The company does not have to pay benefits, 401k match, etc to prn pharmacists. Essentially the only expense they create is the hourly rate they get paid while standing behind the pharmacy counter.

I debated it. It's clear in the CVS handbook that it is against company policy but they did have a piece that said you could appeal it. But the amount of time I would need to appeal CVS and Walgreens would cause issues because they need someone to start ASAP. At this point, working less hours and filling less scripts is worth forgoing the bonus.

That mentality (cutting prn folks) is stupid. The company does not have to pay benefits, 401k match, etc to prn pharmacists. Essentially the only expense they create is the hourly rate they get paid while standing behind the pharmacy counter.

My new pharmacist supervisor said no to allowing me to stay employed as PRN because he said it was too "much of an expense" to the district by having so many pharmacists that are PRN. When I responded by paraphrasing the above he had a 'deer in the headlights' look and didn't know what to say.

Honestly I think his decision had more to do with his ego than anything else, but oh well.

and sell your stock options before you quit as well FYI or they will be gone

and sell your stock options before you quit as well FYI or they will be gone

I cashed out all the ones that had vested that I could. Unfortunately most of the options I had were from when CVS was trading at over $100, so they were virtually worthless- though the others were still better than nothing.

How much $ is this bonus?

How much $ is this bonus?
I'm not sure the exact number, but I hit all my metrics and beat script budget so I'm assuming it had to be around 10k before taxes. I didn't hit any metrics last year except script count and it was around 7,500 before taxes. Too late now though, start new job on Monday