will it be better to get pharm.D in india rather then US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brian patel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just graduated from high school in Boston, and i would like to go into pharmacy. would it be better if i just get my Pharm.D in india? then come back to us and get a job becuase my parents are already US citizen. would there be any problems? would it be hard in india or easy? thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Brian,

First off, you should probably change your screen name because it contains identifying information and thats not what you want to use especially online. Can you say identity theft? lol

With that, I believe that it would be better to get a PharmD in the US because you are going to be licensed in the US. It is very important that you learn about things such as the USP (US Pharmacopia) which will be on your boards and not in india. Alot of the NAPLEX//Other exams, concerns american ways and law... not Indian.

Finally, I don't go by whether something is easy or hard. I would want to be the best possible pharmacist... but ultimately it is a personal choice as are my opinions.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a lot of steps you have to take in order to use a foreign pharmacy degree in the US, so actually it is quite hard to do this. I think there are some threads on foreign graduates in the Pharmacy Licensure and Exams forum if you want to get some ideas of what it would take.

If you hav a B. Pharm in India, you might need to retake 3 years class in U.S to work.
yeah, but what if you actually have a pharmD degree, then what? foreign pharmacy schools are now having the pharmD option, Philippines, Lebanon, India, France and England etc. I am just curious that's all.

yeah, but what if you actually have a pharmD degree, then what? foreign pharmacy schools are now having the pharmD option, Philippines, Lebanon, India, France and England etc. I am just curious that's all.

I know Nova has a 3 years International program for international students who have BS in Pharmacy. I guess people still need a lot of things to do in order to work in the U.S.

What I'm more interested in finding out is, how does the other way around work?

If I get a Pharm D. in the US, does that give me instant Pharmacy God Status and allow me to work anywhere in the world?

Yes it does.. hehe. That's just my opinion though. :D I dont know, but it seems like degrees from the US are acceptable worldwide.

Hey I would advise you not to get yor PharmD in India because you would have to retake equivalency exams and get at least 2,000 internship hours in the US. You will loose 1-2 years in that process.
So just take the PCAT and apply to US schools!!!

Yes it does.. hehe. That's just my opinion though. :D I dont know, but it seems like degrees from the US are acceptable worldwide.

Not quite...The US school system is lightyears beyond Western Europe. Our masters are equivalent to a bachelors there. In England, for example, they cover our entire pharmacy school curriculum for a bachelors in Pharmacy. Degrees in the US do not have the backing behind them that you think they do. =) The world knows how terrible our education system is.

Not quite...The US school system is lightyears beyond Western Europe. Our masters are equivalent to a bachelors there. In England, for example, they cover our entire pharmacy school curriculum for a bachelors in Pharmacy. Degrees in the US do not have the backing behind them that you think they do. =) The world knows how terrible our education system is.

You know what they say about opinions?

I just did a check on pharmacy jobs in Great Britain. Recently graduated pharmacists only get paid $30,000 pounds or $44,000 dollars, what's up with that?

Are pharmacists in the US paid more than pharmacists in other countries?
Yes. Britain is notorious for having low pay for health professionals.

I just did a check on pharmacy jobs in Great Britain. Recently graduated pharmacists only get paid $30,000 pounds or $44,000 dollars, what's up with that?

Are pharmacists in the US paid more than pharmacists in other countries?

They have the universal health care in UK! Basically the patient don't even have to pay a penny to the doctor b/c they send the bill to the government,

Yea they do have good pharmacy programs. They recently started a Pharm D program. But the thing is, if you go, you should not bother coming back here for a job because the US will not accept pharmacists who were educated in other countries besides the US itself, unless you're willing to go through school for a few more years...