Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Will it be too late to do volunteer/research things?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by grettlin, Nov 19, 2001.

1. grettlin

grettlin Senior Member

Hi,
    I just wonder if it will be too late to do the volunteer or research things after I take MCAT. I think it will be 3-4 months time period after I take MCAT (April) and before I fill out the application (around Auguest). The reason is I think MCAT score is one of the most important index (the other is GPA) to med school.
    Could anyone give your opinions? thx!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario

I would say that if you have the time and you want to do it, its not too late.

The MCAT and GPA are important, but after the first cut is made, your interview and extracurriculars will determine whether or not you get in (at most schools). If you wanna do volunteer work, I say start now. Otherwise, have an explanation ready in case you're asked about why you did no such work until just before the application season.

4. urasia

urasia Member

i don't think it's ever too late to do volunteer work, and it may even be able to give you new insights into why you want to become a doctor. volunteering for an hour or two per week probably won't cut into your study time and will serve as a good studybreak too.

5. FLY

FLY Senior Member

When you put down that you volunteered as an extracurricular activity... Do you just put down..

Volunteered at this hospital or...

Volunteered at this hospital from March 2000 to June 2002 or....

Volunteered at this hospital w/ for this much hours/year..

6. Mystique

Mystique The Procrastinator

Resident [Any Field]
    With the AMCAS web application, you put down the months you have worked (ie. May 2001-December 2001). If I remember correctly you can also put down the hours/week, but that's optional. It's been awhile, so the details are kind of fuzzy...

7. grettlin,

Do you have any other extracurriculars before you are taking the MCAT? I'm assuming you will be in your Junior year. If you don't have anything before that point, but only have 3 months of extracurriculars (research, work, volunteering, campus/community activities) on your whole application, that will not cut it with many schools. Maybe some, but I don't think you should take that risk. It's never too late to start, but you really need to start now if you want to make your application as strong as possible.

8. amonkeybutt

amonkeybutt Senior Member

I agree with Nikki. I think at most schools they want to see some dedication and time committed to helping others. A three to four months stint is okay if the program by nature is short, otherwise you should have something consistent throughout your college career. I don't think they like to see brief volunteer work with ten or twenty organizations, instead one or two long-term ones are best. If you haven't had any up until now (and you are a junior), I suggest you start ASAP. Good luck.

9. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel

Pre-Medical
    Of course it's never to late to do volunteer work and it will be useful for you whenever you start, regardless of whether or not it makes it on your med school application or looks important enough. If you choose your volunteer work wisely it can be an enriching experience and if you're worried that it won't make it into your application in time, you can alwyas use it as material for the interview.