Will it look like I'm just superficially padding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing my undergrad degree in what is essentially 3 years, so my class schedules were packed. I didn't have time to pursue activities beyond a few sustained heavy research and light clinical activities. While I am not applying for a full-time job for personal reasons this academic year, I wanted to get involved with other clinical and non-clinical volunteering of which the latter is practically non-existent.

Most of the opportunities I am looking at have light weekly schedules (2 - 6 hours/week on average), but I can and want to commit to these until the end of spring term which is when I hope to move into a full-time research position. I'm interested in volunteering at elderly homes, hospices, and soup kitchens.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you do. Stick with it over time and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am finishing my undergrad degree in what is essentially 3 years, so my class schedules were packed. I didn't have time to pursue activities beyond a few sustained heavy research and light clinical activities. While I am not applying for a full-time job for personal reasons this academic year, I wanted to get involved with other clinical and non-clinical volunteering of which the latter is practically non-existent.

Most of the opportunities I am looking at have light weekly schedules (2 - 6 hours/week on average), but I can and want to commit to these until the end of spring term which is when I hope to move into a full-time research position. I'm interested in volunteering at elderly homes, hospices, and soup kitchens.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid?
So, are you saying you'd have only, say, eight months of these activities listed on your application when you apply to med schools?

So, are you saying you'd have only, say, eight months of these activities listed on your application when you apply to med schools?

Yeah. I would only have 8 months of non-clinical volunteering.

Yeah. I would only have 8 months of non-clinical volunteering.
Is is possible you could continue this through the application year while you are employed, perhaps giving fewer hours if you are time challenged? AMCAS now allows one to mention future planned hours, but you'd want to legitimate the intention by mentioning it again in Secondary essays and in update letters.

Is is possible you could continue this through the application year while you are employed, perhaps giving fewer hours if you are time challenged? AMCAS now allows one to mention future planned hours, but you'd want to legitimate the intention by mentioning it again in Secondary essays and in update letters.

I can probably continue these through the application year, though everything would need to fit around my work schedule.

Thanks for the advice!