Will it matter if my personal statement is a few words over 1000??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

portlander

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need a little advice. My personal statement is about 30 words over 1000 right now. Will any section of it me cut out for being over, or should I make a big effort to cut it down to under 1000? Please help, any advice would be welcome.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

when you type the essay in the box for the online application, it will stop you at 1000 words. However, I found that it stopped me even earlier, as I think it doesn't necessarily count the words, but uses a formula for calculating average words per line and then the number of lines, etc. Just type it in there and see. I ended up changing my essay 5 times to get it to fit.

Bucky

The field to put in your essay doesn't count the words you have. It uses a average word ratio like 6 letters per word. My essay was like 1003 words and it fit and when I kept on clicking "enter" it let my essay go down for another 10-15 lines and then gave me a notice not to go overboard. I didn't use huge words in my essay and kept it really simple. I'm pretty sure 1030 words would fit in the field. You can test it out though and see for yourself.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
people i really don't think it matters to much just as long it fits the freaking box.