molochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm going to be a first year student at Rutgers-NB next year, and premed-obviously :oops:
I haven't taken Chem or Bio AP. I want to know how much this will hurt me. Our school required 3 yrs of sciences-bio, chem, and physics and if we wanted too we could do additional APs in the sciences. I have only AP Physics done, the most science APs you could have at my school (due to conflicting labs was 2). I wanted to do either Bio/Chem, but it never fit into my schedule, so I didn't. When I took Biology and Physics I took them both at the highest level that was not AP, and chemistry I took at a middling level of honors--(not as good as high honors, but not as bad as basic chem). My chemistry class was very, very difficult though, and was harder than the high honors class actually.
I'm in their honors program, so hopefully, that means I'm not too unintelligent lol:p, but I'm worried about my ability to succeed given that nearly every honors premed has taken either AP bio or chem. What should I do?
Should I study these over the summer, or just relax and take it easy? I know some kids who had the score to AP out of these classes, but wont. Will they have a very huge advantage in such a class?
Also- I want to take chemistry honors, which may sound a bit crazy given my situation, but everyone says the teacher is soo much better that its actually easier than regular chem.
Thank you SDN members in advance for your help. :love:

MassTransport

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Those who have AP credit but declined advanced placement may have some advantage, in that they were exposed to the material before, but lack of AP credit will not hurt you personally. You take a course so you can learn the material, so they obviously won't expect you to have prior knowledge of the material.

Don't pre-study.

OP
M

molochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm particularly afraid of there being a curve or something of that sort, where I will be in the lower end of it. Ugh. How much more do you estimate I would have to study to make up for not having the corresponding AP course? (I've already had a a year of each of those subjects, but not the additional AP course for bio + chem)

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm particularly afraid of there being a curve or something of that sort, where I will be in the lower end of it. Ugh. How much more do you estimate I would have to study to make up for not having the corresponding AP course? (I've already had a a year of each of those subjects, but not the additional AP course for bio + chem)
if you have any background in these subjects, that will help. i wouldn't stress out about the fact that your courses weren't AP.

go to class and see how it goes. keep up with your readings and you will be fine.

OP
M

molochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
So the general consensus seem to be that while I'm at a slight disadvantage, keeping up in these courses is still doable! That makes me quite happy XD
And prestudying is a bad idea so none of that then.
Thanks to everyone who replied.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I basically had no AP science classes going in, and I did fine! You will probably have to work a little harder than your classmates in GChem...but you can still easily manage to get As if you work hard. Don't worry about it!

kidthor

meep
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Just work hard at staying on top of the material and you'll be totally fine!

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
No AP is totally fine. They don't really work one way or another in your favour or not.

I'd bet a good number of us have no ap's from HS.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I think APs are actually a BAD thing!

Med schools would prefer to see you do good in pre-reqs in college instead of skipping them in HS. A lot of med schools don't even accept APs.

AP credits might allow you to graduate sooner, but then you'll have less time to do ECs and impress adcoms in college.

Innokus

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Don't worry about it. I took regular chem in the 11th grade and regular bio in the 10th grade. The classes were rediculously simple compared to what I'm learning now. I believe my bio notes amounted to no more than 60 pages for the year. For Bio 2 in college, I'm currently reviewing 600 powerpoint slides for the final. It's not any difficult. It's just more in depth and at a faster pace. I still managed to get an A in Gen Chem and Bio.

edit: Oops, I underestimated. It's closer to 900 slides.

Dendrite

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status
Medical Student
The only thing AP and IB credits do is give you credit for a lot of required classes like history, english, and sometimes fine arts. You then have either the option of graduating early or using that free time to take classes you have a greater interest in. For the most part, you still have to take a year of bio, gen chem, orgo chem, and physics before med school anyway.

If you have exposure to the material in high school, then it provides a good foundation for the material you learn in college - AP credit does not guarantee success in anything.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Medical Student
As the previous posts have already reiterated, APs only help you for college courses. Pretty much, your effort and performance in college will be more scrutinized by med schools than whether you did AP at a public or private high school.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
YOu must score 5s on atleast 8 different AP tests in order to be accepted to medical school.

PanicAttack

gomers gonna gome
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2008
Honolulu HI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
APs hurt me - my GPA is lower because I didn't take a lot of freshmen courses (which I would have probably gotten A's in, but definitely would have gotten B's in), such as English 1 and 2, Chem 1 and 2, Calc 1, etc.

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Never-Never-Land
Status
Medical Student
I almost flunked out of biology and chemistry in high school. I didn't tackle them till my post-bacc and I interviewed at some of the best schools in the country.

AP means nothing when applying, except perhaps that you studied more than the rest of the world in high school.

OP
M

molochild

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I must not have made myself clear enough. I apologize. What I meant to ask was not whether not having taken enough APs was a disavadvantage in applying to medical school, but whether not having taken the AP versions of prereq courses and doing those courses in college alongside people who had taken those AP version and did not place out in order to get an easy "A" would cause me to get a significantly lower score considering that I'm competing with people who have taken more advanced high school science classes than I had.
Or in other words, is there a lot of advantage to be had in having ap level coursework behind you when you retake classes such as general chem, bio, and such?

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
I must not have made myself clear enough. I apologize. What I meant to ask was not whether not having taken enough APs was a disavadvantage in applying to medical school, but whether not having taken the AP versions of prereq courses and doing those courses in college alongside people who had taken those AP version and did not place out in order to get an easy "A" would cause me to get a significantly lower score considering that I'm competing with people who have taken more advanced high school science classes than I had.
Or in other words, is there a lot of advantage to be had in having ap level coursework behind you when you retake classes such as general chem, bio, and such?
It doesn't matter.

It's you, not anyone else.

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
study hard.
get good grades.
get into medical school.

Don't make excuses/become distracted/etc. by what the other students are doing. You succeed or fail by what YOU do and you are not at a significant disadvantage (unless you have some medical/serious economic/etc. issues).

Innokus

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2007
Status
Other Health Professions Student
It doesn't matter. You will all be on the same playing field. There will be an advantage from having seen the material before. Just take it easy and don't worry about it until the fall. Besides, a lot of med schools don't accept AP credit for the prerequisites. They want to see you take it at the college level. Regardless, take your classes during fall and work hard.

CubaLibre

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
honors will most likely be more difficult don't you think? Why would you do that then?

batch5000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I don't think APs are expected, unless you are going to MIT or Caltech. I started a bio major 4 years out of high school. Before taking any courses, I couldn't have told you the formula for any molecule except water. I did just fine in all of my prereqs and calc I and II. Don't sweat it. Just as long as you have some precalc experience, you should do fine. Sure, I had to study hard, but I was never lost. Remember these are intro courses. They don't expect you to have much previous knowledge.

disorder

isrdero
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
AP's greatly helped me. Intro Chem, Intro Bio, and Calc were all basically a review from what I learned in highschool, except with a little more depth.

Granted, the college courses were significantly harder, but with that early exposure I was able to compensate the difficulty.

PinkKitten

Keep on the sunny side :)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
La Jolla, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
i didn't have any science/math AP's coming into college,except AP environmental science-which wasn't actually science, but more current issues in science. But i digress. I ended up studying harder and doing more work to catch up with people who had previous exposure, but in the end, i ended up doing just as well. If you are willing to put in the extra effort and time you should be fine! good luck :)

Salsa45

10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I walked in having not even taken sciences in high school or upper level math, and I've managed straight A's. Work hard and you'll be fine.

Oh and I'm not at a CC, I'm at a pretty competitive university.