Medical Will medical schools penalize me because I'm doing more paid clinical hours instead of the volunteer clinical hours I projected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had around 30 hours of clinical volunteering experience at the VA when i applied to medical school, but added a projected 100 hours because I was taking a gap year. (so 130 total—i made sure to note that it was a projection).

But a few months later, I started a paid clinical job, which was not on my application. (I did state it, later, on my secondaries and at interviews.) This job gives me a large amount of paid clinical hours, but it has been at the expense of my clinical volunteering hours—I currently have 70 clinical volunteering hours at the VA. I was planning on quitting my job by March to do some traveling, but I am wondering if I should quit a little earlier to give myself a few weeks to just volunteer and focus on trying to reach the amount of volunteer hours I projected.

I have a fair amount of shadowing hours and non-clinical volunteer hours, so maybe this is a non-issue, but since it was clinical volunteer hours i just wanted to get some feedback. i don’t want to have a situation where I matriculate, then get in trouble for not having the amount of volunteer hours i projected. especially considering i talked a fair amount about this volunteer experience at all my of interviews so far. thanks.

As long as you get clinical experience, meaning interacting with patients, projections mean nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.