Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Will minors help in becoming a good doctor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by JoyKim456, 09.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. JoyKim456

JoyKim456

Pre-Medical
    I'm not talking about admissions, I am talking about education. If someone has a minor in business or finance, or a difficult subject that requires you to think critically, will that help them as a doctor? Because being a good doctor means to have to have a sense of economy, business, have problem solving skills, and have a lot of knowledge. Yet I always see people not giving minors any importance.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Minors have no importance to us. If you have one, it should have importance to you.

4. gettheleadout

gettheleadout MS-2 Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you're confusing formally earning a minor in college with having knowledge and skill in some field.

Aerus, Mr Roboto, VVH1003 and 4 others like this.
  5. claduva94

claduva94 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    You will be much better off taking classes you are interested in as opposed to having to abide by the structure of a minor.

Lucca likes this.
  6. chocolatethunder

chocolatethunder 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you are genuinely interested, you can obtain the same knowledge with a couple of books from your local library.

7. IncognitoGuy

IncognitoGuy l'absurde 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There's "thinking critically" in class and "thinking critically" on, say.. Wall St. Guess which one a minor applies to?

8. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Minor in a second language.

AlteredScale and Winged Scapula like this.
  9. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Army
    I took birdwatching in college. It was the hardest class I've ever taken, including medical school courses. I had to memorize over 200 species of birds by sight and by their calls. I had to trudge around in the snow at 6am with a set of binoculars and a copy of the Sibley Guide to North American Birds(which I highly recommend) and make weekly logs of birds I saw in the woods. I would say that, as a doctor, birdwatching taught me more about being a doctor than any other course. Why?

Because it got me used to waking up at 5am, memorizing a bunch of seemingly useless trivia, and taught my to document everything. Point is, any experience can contribute to your education if you maximize its potential.

10. Flashfan

Flashfan 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Classes in personal finance, personal investing, business law, ethics. organizational management, how to manage employees of workplace regulations, data management, and a project management class would all be good to have. However, most of this could be done with self-study.

About the ads