1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Will minors help in becoming a good doctor?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JoyKim456, Sep 20, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. JoyKim456

JoyKim456 2+ Year Member

May 29, 2014
    I'm not talking about admissions, I am talking about education. If someone has a minor in business or finance, or a difficult subject that requires you to think critically, will that help them as a doctor? Because being a good doctor means to have to have a sense of economy, business, have problem solving skills, and have a lot of knowledge. Yet I always see people not giving minors any importance.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

Minors have no importance to us. If you have one, it should have importance to you.

4. gettheleadout

gettheleadout MS-2 Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I think you're confusing formally earning a minor in college with having knowledge and skill in some field.

Aerus, Mr Roboto, VVH1003 and 4 others like this.
  5. claduva94

claduva94 2+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2014
    MDApps:
    You will be much better off taking classes you are interested in as opposed to having to abide by the structure of a minor.

Lucca likes this.
  6. chocolatethunder

chocolatethunder 2+ Year Member

Nov 9, 2013
    New York
    If you are genuinely interested, you can obtain the same knowledge with a couple of books from your local library.

7. IncognitoGuy

IncognitoGuy l'absurde 5+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2011
    There's "thinking critically" in class and "thinking critically" on, say.. Wall St. Guess which one a minor applies to?

8. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Physician
    Minor in a second language.

AlteredScale and Winged Scapula like this.
  9. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2010
    Hell
    Army
    I took birdwatching in college. It was the hardest class I've ever taken, including medical school courses. I had to memorize over 200 species of birds by sight and by their calls. I had to trudge around in the snow at 6am with a set of binoculars and a copy of the Sibley Guide to North American Birds(which I highly recommend) and make weekly logs of birds I saw in the woods. I would say that, as a doctor, birdwatching taught me more about being a doctor than any other course. Why?

Because it got me used to waking up at 5am, memorizing a bunch of seemingly useless trivia, and taught my to document everything. Point is, any experience can contribute to your education if you maximize its potential.

10. Flashfan

Flashfan 5+ Year Member

May 22, 2010
    Midwest
    MDApps:
    Classes in personal finance, personal investing, business law, ethics. organizational management, how to manage employees of workplace regulations, data management, and a project management class would all be good to have. However, most of this could be done with self-study.