Will my app be on hold until I finish Biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enilojna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just spoke with my advisor and she told me that aside from the minimum classes (Bio, Chem, O-Chem, Phys..) I had to also do Cell Bio, Micro Bio, Genetics, and Bio Chem. I would finish everything except Biochem by spring of '08. Since my school is run on a semester system, they don't offer Biochem in the summer. :scared: I want to take my MCAT in May (computerized) and apply by June. But, since I have to take Biochem in the Fall of '08, are the schools going to hold my application until I get my grade??? That's what my advisor at school told me. My school's Fall sem is done in JANUARY!!

Sorry, I just read this over and realized I sound all desperate. :laugh:
I checked other schools, but they're all either quarter systems, or they just don't offer the class in the summer. I have to postpone medschool for a year just because of one stupid class.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Anjoline

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know you can apply whenever, but you need to have the requirements done by the time that you would matriculate at med. school. You don't need the pre-req's to apply, but I believe that it is preferred. Anyone else?

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else have any insights? I know it's preferred to have all the prereqs done, but is Biochem a prereq or just a recommended class? If it's recommended, maybe they'll go ahead and process the application since all the required classes are done.

Oh I don't know. So confused. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools require it and some don't. You can check in the "Med. School Application Requirements." It's published by the AAMC. I think the Biochem requirement is the exception and not the rule.

oootay, thanks! I'll check it out.

I'm applying for Fall 2007. I just got an interview at UMich today :) , they require biochemistry and I have yet to take it. So, probably not, relax ;)

enilojna said:
Hi everyone,

I just spoke with my advisor and she told me that aside from the minimum classes (Bio, Chem, O-Chem, Phys..) I had to also do Cell Bio, Micro Bio, Genetics, and Bio Chem. I would finish everything except Biochem by spring of '08. Since my school is run on a semester system, they don't offer Biochem in the summer. :scared: I want to take my MCAT in May (computerized) and apply by June. But, since I have to take Biochem in the Fall of '08, are the schools going to hold my application until I get my grade??? That's what my advisor at school told me. My school's Fall sem is done in JANUARY!!

Sorry, I just read this over and realized I sound all desperate. :laugh:
I checked other schools, but they're all either quarter systems, or they just don't offer the class in the summer. I have to postpone medschool for a year just because of one stupid class.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Anjoline

At most schools, you'll be fine. The med school I'm starting at right now required a year of bio, and I didn't finish my last quarter of bio until March of this year (I was accepted in December of last year). You'll just get a conditional acceptance which requires you to finish the pre-med requirements before you start med school.

physicsnerd42 said:
At most schools, you'll be fine. The med school I'm starting at right now required a year of bio, and I didn't finish my last quarter of bio until March of this year (I was accepted in December of last year). You'll just get a conditional acceptance which requires you to finish the pre-med requirements before you start med school.

This is all right on. The fact that you will be taking the class while you are on the interview trail should help you out a little too, as there should be little doubt within the admission committee as to whether you will have the prereqs completed before matriculating.

why don't you take it at a different school that offers it in the summer?

Dr. Josh said:
why don't you take it at a different school that offers it in the summer?

I tried looking at other schools, but they're all mostly quarter system. It would overlap with my other classes when I start in the fall. I actually told my counselor about biochem not being offered in the summer and she was shocked to hear that. she said not to worry because Cali medschools love to wait til the very end to accept students anyway and that I should still apply before I take the class.

Oh well, we'll see how things go.