Will my C be looked over or scrutinized?

N

NP545

Recently took a supplementary Analytical Physics Theory - 1 credit course (factors into science GPA) and got a C. My other science grades are As and one B+ (3.85 sGPA, excluding the C). Took it to partially fulfill the 1 year physics MD requirements because I took AP Physics in high school and got placed out of my regular physics course. Would adcoms just glance past the C because it was in a 1 credit class, or will they start questioning me about why I got that C compared to everything else on my transcript?

My answers would be something along the lines of "it was just a deviation, etc.." Is there a better response I can give?
Obviously 1 C won't kill an applicant's chances (I hope), but how bad is it?

TheLionheart

PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got a C in Calc 2 freshman year. Received 6 IIs so far, and only 1 interviewer made any kind of a comment on my grades. All he said was "well, you really stepped it up since your freshman year."

OP
N

NP545

I got a C in Calc 2 freshman year. Received 6 IIs so far, and only 1 interviewer made any kind of a comment on my grades. All he said was "well, you really stepped it up since your freshman year."
You bring up my worry. You mentioned that you were on an upward trend, starting out with the C and then improving following it. I have a downward trend. Good grades at first, and then the C causes the downward trend. I think this may be the cause of concern, though I'm not sure whether one C in a 1-credit course justifies an equivalent downward trend. Your thoughts?

TheLionheart

PGY-1
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You bring up my worry. You mentioned that you were on an upward trend, starting out with the C and then improving following it. I have a downward trend. Good grades at first, and then the C causes the downward trend. I think this may be the cause of concern, though I'm not sure whether one C in a 1-credit course justifies an equivalent downward trend. Your thoughts?
In my mind, a trend is a series of data points that exhibit a certain pattern... having 1 C does not constitute a trend. Especially since that class is Physics. Just my .02

Hermione L Knope MD. Ph.D

5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
MD/PhD Student, Medical Student (Accepted)
I had 1 C junior year in human physiology. Other than that I've had only 2 B's since highschool (did dual credit). Have 12 II's at top places and haven't had anyone comment on it. I made sure to take much harder course load including a higher physiology and aced it to show I could handle it, it was just the particular class I was in

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
One C won't kill you but I do see in Interview Feedback that interviewers at some schools do ask "So what about that C in ...?", so be prepared to talk about it.

Afford

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I wouldn't worry about it. That 1 C probably lowers your GPA like 0.01. As long as the rest is good, you'll be fine.

MrLogan13

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I had a C, and one of my interviewers asked about it. Just be prepared to discuss it and what you learned and how you improved yourself from the experience.

moop

1K Member
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 15, 2013
Screeners will look at nothing but that one, sad, pitiful C alone. Make sure to ask your Registrar to use some whiteout on it