Will my C be looked over or scrutinized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

Recently took a supplementary Analytical Physics Theory - 1 credit course (factors into science GPA) and got a C. My other science grades are As and one B+ (3.85 sGPA, excluding the C). Took it to partially fulfill the 1 year physics MD requirements because I took AP Physics in high school and got placed out of my regular physics course. Would adcoms just glance past the C because it was in a 1 credit class, or will they start questioning me about why I got that C compared to everything else on my transcript?

My answers would be something along the lines of "it was just a deviation, etc.." Is there a better response I can give?
Obviously 1 C won't kill an applicant's chances (I hope), but how bad is it?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a C in Calc 2 freshman year. Received 6 IIs so far, and only 1 interviewer made any kind of a comment on my grades. All he said was "well, you really stepped it up since your freshman year."

I got a C in Calc 2 freshman year. Received 6 IIs so far, and only 1 interviewer made any kind of a comment on my grades. All he said was "well, you really stepped it up since your freshman year."

You bring up my worry. You mentioned that you were on an upward trend, starting out with the C and then improving following it. I have a downward trend. Good grades at first, and then the C causes the downward trend. I think this may be the cause of concern, though I'm not sure whether one C in a 1-credit course justifies an equivalent downward trend. Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
You bring up my worry. You mentioned that you were on an upward trend, starting out with the C and then improving following it. I have a downward trend. Good grades at first, and then the C causes the downward trend. I think this may be the cause of concern, though I'm not sure whether one C in a 1-credit course justifies an equivalent downward trend. Your thoughts?

In my mind, a trend is a series of data points that exhibit a certain pattern... having 1 C does not constitute a trend. Especially since that class is Physics. Just my .02

So you have all A's, one B+, and one C and you're worried?

give me a break.

Reactions: 4 users
I had 1 C junior year in human physiology. Other than that I've had only 2 B's since highschool (did dual credit). Have 12 II's at top places and haven't had anyone comment on it. I made sure to take much harder course load including a higher physiology and aced it to show I could handle it, it was just the particular class I was in

I wouldn't worry about it. That 1 C probably lowers your GPA like 0.01. As long as the rest is good, you'll be fine.

I had a C, and one of my interviewers asked about it. Just be prepared to discuss it and what you learned and how you improved yourself from the experience.

Screeners will look at nothing but that one, sad, pitiful C alone. Make sure to ask your Registrar to use some whiteout on it