NimbleNavigator

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Mar 15, 2016
Hmm... I'm kind of curious to see if anyone has any useful insights. How much does a good CARS score help, and how much does a bad CARS score hurt?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Take two of these please, you are indeed too neurotic.

upload_2016-8-1_11-6-41.jpeg
This may just be the neurotic premed in me talking, but I would appreciate some insight nonetheless.

I scored very well overall on the MCAT (520) but my CARS subscore was relatively low (126). Would this CARS score screen me out of top tier schools (or otherwise significantly hurt my chances of admission) despite my total score being at or above average for such schools? 126 is 74th percentile whereas the other sections were all 99-100 percentile. My GPA is also 3.9+, so I'm not concerned on that front. For ECs: Strengths include research and teaching, with clinical exposure and shadowing being more standard.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm planning on applying next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: Gurby
OP
S

scienceguy95

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Take two of these please, you are indeed too neurotic.

View attachment 207285
Haha.

In all honesty though, I'm only asking so that I can set my expectations accordingly. There's no chance in hell I would retake a 520 MCAT over one subpar section. I'm also curious as to how much weight is placed on the various sections vs. the total score (given that no subscore is below average).

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Pay very careful attention: Your CARS score, when translated to the old MCAT is ~9 on the old exam. This is fine for tons of schools, including Columbia. Aim high, will ya?

CARS gets cut the most slack and if you look at subscores, the median for CARS or VR is a full point below the others.

OP
S

scienceguy95

2+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Pay very careful attention: Your CARS score, when translated to the old MCAT is ~9 on the old exam. This is fine for tons of schools, including Columbia. Aim high, will ya?

CARS gets cut the most slack and if you look at subscores, the median for CARS or VR is a full point below the others.
Good to know. Thanks for your help Goro!