1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Will my current post-bacc work compensate for past college mistakes?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by UTman7777, Aug 17, 2011.

1. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#1 UTman7777, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MaryGoRound

Pre-Medical
    I really hope so. I'm in a nearly identical situation to you. Graduated with a 2.5 due to my dad's illness in college. 3.92 (damn A-) post-bacc at a 4 year university, hundreds of hours shadowing/volunteering, 29 MCAT. Apply early and broadly and hope for the best. Good luck!

4. Bluesun

Bluesun Handbag Inspector
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This is very close to my situation -- very poor undergrad gpa which I will try to alleviate with a solid post-bacc (which I have not started yet).

Are you doing your post-bacc full time? How are you paying for things? This is my biggest concern... I have the kind of job that if I leave, I could not get it back basically ever.

5. MaryGoRound

Pre-Medical
    Bluesun- I'm not sure if your question was for me or the original poster, but I'll answer either way. After I graduated, I found a job at a university. It pays pretty crappy, but one of my benefits is that I can take 2 classes a semester FOR FREE. I also have a fairly flexible schedule that allows me to take my lunch break at 10am to go to class for an hour.

6. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My parents have been really supportive and I also saved a lot of money when I was consulting to pay for things. I am doing it full time. I feel if this is the path you have chosen you should go 100% or not go at all. Just my 2 cents!

I was hoping someone who was in a similar situation would post that this worked for them but I have not seen that yet.

7. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How many post bacc hours do you have and where is your gpa currently?

8. MaryGoRound

Pre-Medical
    I'm at 23 hours of post-bacc at a 3.92.

Edit: 3.92 is my post-bacc GPA. A few of my post-bacc courses were considered graduate level, so my grad GPA is 4.0. My overall undergrad has made it's way up to a whopping 2.62 (145 hours total).

9. FutureDrB

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I hope you get in, cause my situation/stats/work history/volunteer hours, etc is an exact carbon copy of yours. :laugh:

10. MaryGoRound

Pre-Medical
    I'm giving it my best shot this cycle. I applied to 20 schools. My MCAT score was released yesterday but my application has been verified since 7-29. So far I have 8 secondary invites, 1 rejection and 11 I haven't heard from yet.

11. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Still waiting for my AMCAS to be verified with the transcripts. I got secondary invited from two with AMCAS.

I also am a tx resident so I applied TMDSAS and I just released my 30 MCAT score so I do not think they are looking at it until they get that score.

So I wait =/

12. MaryGoRound

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I'm on "MCAT hold" at a lot of schools, but now that my score is available I should be hearing from the rest of them. Since I didn't apply at any Texas schools, I wish you all the best! ;)

13. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hhaha to you the same. I would rather stay in tx cause of tuition but I am not picky!!

Have a good one

14. OldBat

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    How were your math and science grades from your undergraduate degree. AMCAS gives you a seperate grade for classes that are considered Physics, Biology, Chemistry or Math. If your grades were good that will really help. Calculate a seperate GPA for your math and science classes.
    AMCAS uses .33 for + a B+ would be 3.33 and minus grades are .67
    When you calculate use the AMCAS grade scale. That will give you a better idea of your chances. :luck:

15. mafunk

Pre-Medical
    I think it depends upon the school. Some schools seem to 'forgive' past mistakes and even welcome those who have transcended obstacles. Others seem to be looking for more 'lily white' candidates. Just mho

16. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just got all my transcripts sent to AMCAS so I am guessing I am going to find out what my BCPM is here pretty quick. I am estimating it should be in the 3.4 to 3.5 range. Is that good?

17. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am trying to gear my app to the schools that are more forgiving. I think my best chance is in Texas but I have also applied to OOS schools like:

Creighton
    New York Medical College
    Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
    Tufts
    Tulane
    University of Illinois at Chicago
    and I am going to apply to Wayne University

Any other schools you guys would recommend for my situation?

Thanks!! SDN is so helpful!!

18. giraffe17

Medical Student
    how long has it been since you graduated? i think schools are sometimes more forgiving if you've been out of school for awhile (maybe more than 5 yrs?), cause then you can make the argument that you've really changed, and it seems believable.

19. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I graduated in Fall of 2006 and I started school again in the Spring of 2010. Is that a big enough gap?

20. Penguin89

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    UTman7777: how did you end up doing on your mcat? what kind of classes did you end up taking in your post-bac? i.e. besides pre-reqs, what other science classes did you take?

Sorry, I am in a bit of a pickle myself. I just graduated college with a 2.85 gpa from a bachelors in Biochemistry. I am trying to decide if more classes would help or should I take some time off and study hard for the mcat (hoping to get a <90% score). any advice would be appreciated :)

21. UTman7777

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got a 30R 11V 9PS 10BS

I took a lot of neuroscience classes. I could almost minor in it if I wanted lol

I would suggest taking the pre-reqs you need and taking as many upper division classes as possible.

I am hoping to be able to get in with my stats because I held a 4.0 for 40 hours but I guess we will find out =/

22. Penguin89

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Best of luck!! and you should make a MDapplicant profile thing.