Will my ECs kill my application?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by STi555, Jun 2, 2002.

1. STi555

STi555 Senior Member

Ok I have fairly limited post-secondary experiences. Knowing what I know now it seems foolish that I didn't get more but I am where I am now. Other than a few awards/scholorships I have done a couple of small research projects, one at my undergrad and one with a physician. I also got to see the physician I did research with at work. My GPA is good (~3.9) and I have not gotten my MCAT scores yet. Basically do I have a reasonable shot at getting in?

Hearing everyone talk about all their ECs has made me very nervous. I was taking my cues on preparing to enter medical school from my mom (an MD) who didn't do any type of ECs and had the attitude if I have to work really hard to get in then it wasn't meant to be. I had no idea that so much was expected besides grades and MCAT.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. STi555

STi555 Senior Member

Forgot to mention I have had a jobs while in college such as working for the math department and I worked at a dental office one summer.

4. Raist

Raist Member

STi555-

You have more than a reasonable shot of getting in. Grades and mcats are the two most important criteria, and you seem to have those down pat. Your extracurriculars are adequate, although not stellar.

It also depends when you are applying. If this year, I would just say apply to a wide range of schools, and don't be hung up on the top 10 or anything. With your gpa, you have a good shot at getting into a top 10, but admissions are a crapshoot- meaning, you never know what will happen.

If you have a year to wait, I would suggest getting some more clinical experience and research experience. It will definitely make you a stronger applicant.

Best wishes!

5. brickmanli

brickmanli Senior Member

Better yet, start some volunteer work right now. You might not have time to list it on AMCAS, but you can always write them update letters. That's what I did. I was heavy on the research and no patient experience but I wrote on all my essays how I wanted to be a country doctor. So I started working with elderly patients in the hospital while I was applying. Did me some good I think. It's good to have a recommendation written by a person from where you volunteer.

6. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by brickmanli:
    <strong>Better yet, start some volunteer work right now. You might not have time to list it on AMCAS, but you can always write them update letters. ....</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, definitely start volunteering NOW! And start it before June 12th, so that you can include it on the AMCAS. It's ok if you've only put in a few hours before you submit your AMCAS... as long as you show that you plan on doing it all summer, or even longer. Seriously, this is important... go to your nearest hospital or whatever and start volunteering ASAP! And DO include it on your AMCAS if you start before June 12th.

Good luck :)

7. lollie2006

lollie2006 Member

EC's are important, but like everyone else said, they're not everything. Most people have weaknesses on their apps (my EC's weren't stellar and my frosh GPA was low), but they manage to get into great schools by promoting their strengths. Don't sweat it too much, but volunteering this summer would be good. Also, it's nice to be doing something (research, volunteering etc) that you're really into while your interviewing; try to work it into your answers whenever possible. Good luck!

8. wgu

wgu Senior Member

This is going to sound REALLY cheap... but if you have a mom who's (I assume) working in a clinical setting. See if she can ask around for a MD to shadow or better yet a clinical job. The job would be a long-shot if you don't have the experience, but you can maybe get a resident to shadow. If not, volunteer in a patient-care sector. Good luck.

9. STi555

STi555 Senior Member

Thanks for the responces. I do have some clinical stuff lined up this summer, but I am still in school right now and won't be getting home for a couple more weeks.

Reading this board can make one very nervous but I feel a bit better now and I know what I need to do. Thanks!

10. Dark Sandbars

Dark Sandbars Member

You'll more than likely get into *A* med school based on your GPA and probably good MCAT, even with your ECs (or lack therof). Depending on your goals, that may be more than adequate for you.

However, if your ambitions run to the more competetive (and that's truly a personal decision that is the topic for another thread), then I echo everyone else's comments that you should work NOW to beef up the EC section. You will still be somewhat weak, but you will increase your chances.

By the way, at the end of the day, as mentioned elsewhere on this site, there is an element of randomness to this process, and the best you can hope for is an improvement of the odds - not a guarantee.

Good luck!