Will my IA's keep me from getting into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnabombtheMCAT

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The very first weekend of my freshman year in college I received a misdemeanor drinking ticket for having a beer outside of a fraternity party. I was barely 18 at the time it happened, and as a result I had to do a little community service and take a $50 alcohol edu class that my school required of me. A year later, my roommate and I were caught with a negligible amount of marijuana in our dorm room (<0.1 grams) and some associated paraphernalia. Once again, I received a misdemeanor ticket for possession of marijuana, but was not arrested. This time, the school put me on disciplinary probation for a semester, and after completing my probation requirements, the probation mark was removed from my transcript. Additionally, both of these incidents did involve actual police, but both cases got dismissed by court, and both have been completely expunged from my criminal record.

Last year I graduated from a prestigious university with a 3.3 undergrad GPA/3.4 sci GPA, a 512 MCAT and have been enrolled in a special masters program for a year now where I currently have a 3.9 gpa. I have one more semester left of the program but plan on applying to medical schools this cycle. I am worried about these institutional actions and am concerned if they will prevent me from getting into medical school since I have more than one IA (although IMO I don't find these to be extremely egregious offenses). And for clarification, these did happen my freshman and sophomore years of college and I have had many years to learn from my mistakes and grow as a person, and that can be represented by my upward trend in grades since my junior year of college and beyond where I made dean's list every semester. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether I am competitive for mid tier medical schools, or if these offenses will make it extremely hard for me to get in anywhere. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

While there might be some people who might think "didn't learn his/her lessons", there are far more of us who were young and stupid once too.

Just explain and own these.

Reactions: 2 users