Will my Letter of Intent help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cspine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted at one and waitlisted (unranked WL) at another of my state schools. My acceptance was to a top 30/borderline top 20 school (I feel very fortunate to be accepted), while the WL school is closer to the 50s/60s in ranking. The latter is my #1 choice because I live 35 min away and I wouldn't have to strain my 2 children and wife with the process of going to med school a few hours away.

I already wrote a LOI to this program because I will 100% matriculate if accepted. I mentioned my acceptance in my LOI -- while trying to keep it professional, of course -- but I am worried the difference in ranking is negligible and will not help. I also know LOIs are often taken with a grain of salt because many letters lack integrity, are written without any acceptances, or despite good intentions people change their minds. Do those letters make ones like mine less meaningful? Curious if my letter will make any difference.

Sorry if long-winded. I'm a bit nervous about this because both schools are great for myself, but I want to keep my family happy during this process as well. Happy wife = happy life, right?

Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

It will largely depend on the waitlist strategy employed by the desired school.
If there is a strictly ranked waitlist, an LoI will have no effect.
Even if it is a stratified waitlist, your letter may not move you to a reachable position if you are not in a high tier.
However, if your application has been sorted into the top stratum and you have qualities in short supply, your letter may have some effect.

Reactions: 4 users
I appreciate the feedback. The program is a satellite campus with 20-25 students matriculating each year and probably about the same number placed on the WL. They say they are a true unranked waitlist where they take a look at all waitlisted applicants again to determine who would be offered a spot, but I'm sure there is some stratification. I guess time will tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will largely depend on the waitlist strategy employed by the desired school.
If there is a strictly ranked waitlist, an LoI will have no effect.
Even if it is a stratified waitlist, your letter may not move you to a reachable position if you are not in a high tier.
However, if your application has been sorted into the top stratum and you have qualities in short supply, your letter may have some effect.
@gyngyn do you have any recommendations for what to include in an LOI? Is it helpful to mention any schools you’ve been accepted to, or can that come across as annoying? If the school requests it to be “brief”, is one paragraph too long / too short?

@gyngyn do you have any recommendations for what to include in an LOI? Is it helpful to mention any schools you’ve been accepted to, or can that come across as annoying? If the school requests it to be “brief”, is one paragraph too long / too short?
All we want to hear is that you would drop everything if accepted.

Reactions: 4 users