Will my Major change have an impact on me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O Gaúcho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aloha!
So I recently decided to change my major to a brand new EXS biomedical major offered at my school. It is almost identical to the biology biomedical major offered except I will not take about 3-4 bio electives, such as genetics, biostats, bioinformatics. I still will be taking micro bio, molecular bio, bio for majors, biochem, gen chem, ochem, calculus, physics w/ lab 1 and 2, bio anatomy, bio physiology. So like I said, it is almost identical except I trade a few bio electives for kinesiology, motor learning, biomechanics, and Physiology of Exercise.

My main concern is whether or not me changing my major will have an impact on my chances for dental school. Thank you so much for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

No

Reactions: 1 user
Just get the highest GPA you can get. And also know that calculus is rarely needed for school, as well as microbiology(outside of Texas + Seattle) and especially molecular biology. If you're okay with that and you believe this major can give you the highest GPA, then go ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys! Go BYU! But i'm not at provo, I am in Hawaii!

Also here at BYU Hawaii the only physics offered is calculus based and so I must take calculus before I can take physics

Look into getting genetics done, I believe that is one of the important courses most schools want their students to have before applying.

It will also help prepare for the DAT.

I haven't seen any school with genetics as a prereq. Can somebody confirm that genetics is needed?

Aloha!
So I recently decided to change my major to a brand new EXS biomedical major offered at my school. It is almost identical to the biology biomedical major offered except I will not take about 3-4 bio electives, such as genetics, biostats, bioinformatics. I still will be taking micro bio, molecular bio, bio for majors, biochem, gen chem, ochem, calculus, physics w/ lab 1 and 2, bio anatomy, bio physiology. So like I said, it is almost identical except I trade a few bio electives for kinesiology, motor learning, biomechanics, and Physiology of Exercise.

My main concern is whether or not me changing my major will have an impact on my chances for dental school. Thank you so much for the help!
Why would it impact your chances?