Will my master's GPA hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolkul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated a couple of years ago with a 3.9+ premed in undergrad. I decided to take some time off and worked elsewhere while I pondered about whether I wanted to do medicine or not. I decided to do a master's in <removed> after a year off and so far have done really well (all A's). However, I've decided to graduate early and I started having issues with course load and a particular class that I shouldn't have taken in the first place. I took a hard stats course because I thought I could handle it and manage the workload with my research and work. I didn't even have the necessary background and prereqs to succeed. Now, I think I will end up with a C in that class. That is the only C I will have including my undergrad.

I'm afraid that I've actually hurt myself a lot by doing this. I'm also afraid of getting a B in another class which could lower my GPA even more. Ideally, I think I can get out with a 3.8 GPA with the C. If I end up getting a B in the other class, I'm looking at an even lower GPA, maybe something like 3.6? I'd have to actually calculate it, which I'm too lazy to do right now.

My intention wasn't to go back to the premed route, but I couldn't convince myself that it wasn't worth going to med school, despite my best efforts.

How much will this hurt me? I've read that adcoms don't really care about master's unless you're trying to apply with a mediocre undergrad GPA and even then they are not always that interested in it. I'm in the opposite situation, so what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Imma just leave this here...
Take two of these please:
upload_2017-11-28_12-52-58-jpeg.225964

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm relying on the curves in my master's classes to scrape by some B's lol you'll be fine. I, on the other hand, am screwed.

I'm relying on the curves in my master's classes to scrape by some B's lol you'll be fine. I, on the other hand, am screwed.
If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing your master's in? Is it fairly rigorous? Most of the master's programs that pre-meds take are usually GPA booster types like health care delivery or public health. It sounds like you're doing something on another level, especially if your classes involve curves.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing your master's in? Is it fairly rigorous? Most of the master's programs that pre-meds take are usually GPA booster types like health care delivery or public health. It sounds like you're doing something on another level, especially if your classes involve curves.

i'll PM you the specific but it's not public health-related, it's actually pretty rigorous (only taking 2 classes but they are so much harder than anything i experienced in undergrad) and i have to do benchwork

My graduate GPA was less than my undergrad GPA and I was accepted!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user