Will my PCAT score and experience make up from my HORRIBLE transcirpt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBudege

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to become a pharmacist and want to apply to some programs for the 2011-2012 year. However I'm looking for an honest opinion of my chances.

Here are my basic app stats

I have 4 years of experience working in a pharmacy as a tech
93 PCAT score
Overall GPA 3.1
Science GPA 3.0 :(
B.S Bio

** My college transcript is hideous. I have a 2WF's, a D (in a prereq- i retook the course and got a better grade though), and handful of C's. Long story short, my freshman year sucked, sophomore year was okay, and junior through seniors years were great but not spectacular.

To cut to the chase, is my messy transcript/low GPA going to completely ruin my chances or will my years of experience and high PCAT score make up for it?

I'm looking for brutal honesty and related stories :D :corny:

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Same with me. My GPA is just about like yours, in fact a little worse (you can see my stats on my PharmApplicants link below my name)
<-----
I know my work experience, strong LORs, and PCAT were necessary to counter my GPA. I also spoke about the reasons why one year was particular hard on me academically in my personal essay (sick parent). And despite it all, I was able to get into my dream/reach school! So it's definitely possible. Just work hard and give them a good reason why they should be interested in you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are similar, except you have a better PCAT score and even more experience. As mentioned the personal essay can come in handy to explain a poor gpa. I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if you are willing to apply to several different schools. Good Luck!

I agree with the previous posters. ADCOM's don't just look at your GPA. They take into consideration everything else that is submitted (LOR's, PCAT, extracuric, PS, upward trend, etc). As mentioned, use the PS to explain poor grades but always shine a positive light on everything. Explain the circumstances, but also explain how you have learned from them and how you will apply what you've learned in pharmacy school and beyond, etc etc.

I agree with the previous posters. ADCOM's don't just look at your GPA. They take into consideration everything else that is submitted (LOR's, PCAT, extracuric, PS, upward trend, etc). As mentioned, use the PS to explain poor grades but always shine a positive light on everything. Explain the circumstances, but also explain how you have learned from them and how you will apply what you've learned in pharmacy school and beyond, etc etc.

That's not fully true, there are plenty of schools out there who put an over emphasis on GPA. Not every adcom is created equal and some schools really don't consider people below an arbitrary GPA threshold.

I know, I asked around. There were at least 20 schools I wanted to apply to but I either could not or was told not to bother.

Your GPA is going to hurt you, to be honest. Apply to many schools and make sure you do a bang-up job on EVERYTHING else...make sure your LORs are great, and prepare well for your interviews.

That's not fully true, there are plenty of schools out there who put an over emphasis on GPA. Not every adcom is created equal and some schools really don't consider people below an arbitrary GPA threshold.

I know, I asked around. There were at least 20 schools I wanted to apply to but I either could not or was told not to bother.

I never said the OP would get accepted if everything else on their application was stellar. Nor was I saying that their GPA was acceptable or worthy of an acceptance. Many schools review the numbers first and any applicant that falls below that threshold is automatically thrown in the rejection pile. It's up to the OP to do the proper research and apply to the schools that will accept a below average. GPA. What I was saying, however, is that in order to give themselves the best chance, they must improve on EVERYTHING else on their application. My post was meant as a suggestion, not as a guarantee.

I had similar stats and an unranked school put me on the chopping block right away. Then I got accepted to two Top 10 schools. It is about the whole package and as long as you have an upward trend, some experience, good EC's, and good LORs, you should be fine. Just make sure you research your schools of interest thoroughly before you apply and make sure you meet every minimum requirement and make note of anything they put more emphasis on (your chem grades, experience, University credits over CC credits, etc.). You F'ed up. Many of us have but it is not the end of the world. Put your mind to it and direct your energy toward academic success and you will have it!

When I saw "HORRIBLE transcript", I presumed, well, in the lower 2's. You are not as bad off as you are freaking out to be. The combination of GPA, PCAT and exp. doesn't seem to be so hopeless. Go back and pull that GPA up a bit, and you'll be one fine applicant.

To be short and sweet - yes, there are a pharmacy schools that will snatch you up.

Thank you all for the input :)

I've always wanted to become a pharmacist and want to apply to some programs for the 2011-2012 year. However I'm looking for an honest opinion of my chances.

93 PCAT score
Overall GPA 3.1
B.S Bio

** My college transcript is hideous. I have a 2WF's, a D (in a prereq- i retook the course and got a better grade though), and handful of C's. Long story short, my freshman year sucked, sophomore year was okay, and junior through seniors years were great but not spectacular.

To cut to the chase, is my messy transcript/low GPA going to completely ruin my chances or will my years of experience and high PCAT score make up for it?

THANKS

I have very similar stats except no D's or WFs on my transcript and I was accepted to 4 school and invited to interview at 12 school but canceled 8 of the interviews.

I have very similar stats except no D's or WFs on my transcript and I was accepted to 4 school and invited to interview at 12 school but canceled 8 of the interviews.

Yeah, but you forgot to mention that you run 6 miles in less than an hour. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it... jk! :laugh:

OP, I honestly think you will be fine. Everyone has given you very good advice. Strengthen your application in every way possible, bring up your GPA with the remaining classes you have, and apply to schools that have accepted students in the past with similar stats (do your research!). Good luck!

Yes, definitely, you have a chance. I had a similar GPA as you did, but I made up for it with everything else: strong LOR's, good PCAT score, and volunteering and pharm tech experience. I think I was a little unique as well because I majored in English literature instead of a science.

I think you have a good chance if you can make up for your GPA by having everything else as strong as possible. Some pharmacy schools reject you instantly if you don't have a good GPA, and those are the schools you don't want to waste your time and money applying to. For example, California schools don't even look at your PCAT score, so they'll look at your GPA as the main indication of your academic merit.

Also, I got C's in Ochem the first time I took it, and I retook both semesters and got A's the second time around. Many schools accept that second grade, so that's something to think about. However, I didnt get have any wthdrawals, D's, or F's on my transcript, so I retook the classes out of my own choice, not because I had to. Something to think about!

Best of luck! I hope this long reply helped you somewhat. Just know that there is always a second chance and another year to boost your resume or retake classes, if you don't get what you want this cycle.

93 PCAT score
Overall GPA 3.1
B.S Bio

THANKS

Look at your PCAT scores enough said. Even someone applying to medical school with a 2.8 and a 40 on their MCAT are just fine. The same goes with you!! You've proved yourself in the PCAT!! And it shows your strong suit.