Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Will my poor pre-college grades hinder my acceptance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cybermaxx12, Dec 6, 2008.

1. CyberMaxx

CyberMaxx Doing math in pen
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My situation is that I went to a charter school which allowed students to take credits the local community college for duel credit. As a result of this I graduated high school with 37 credits or so. However, in high school I was not so motivated and got rather poor marks in some classes, especially in my science classes. I took Intro to Bio 1 and 2 there. While it I didn't fail them I made a C in Bio 101 and a B- in Bio 102. Overall I ended up with a 3.4 gpa. When I got to college my advisor recomended that I deny these Bio credits since I was pre-med and retake the sequence again. Since then I have retaken these courses along with my other pre-med prereqs and have been able to maintain a 4.0. However, since when I apply to med school my gpas from my undergraduate institution and community college will be averaged I can only achieve a 3.7 something. Furthermore that C and B- will be included. How much will these grades hurt my chances since they were in prereq classes? Also, I have my sights set on a certain top tier institution and have heard that if you have a C in such an important class many top tier schools won't even consider you. Is that just pre-med rumor or is that acually the case?

Thankyou for your imput
    Cybermaxx12

2. Sora

Sora Sic transit gloria
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The SDN maxim is that schools look for significant improvement if someone's early undergraduate grades are mediocre. I'm sure HIGH SCHOOL grades will be forgiven.

3. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i think you will be ok. 1) those were community college classes and generally schools dont want you taking pre reqs there anyway. 2) you retook them, rocked out. 3) it was only a few courses, so while they woill be asveraged in, they should not hurt you with 3 years of other grades on top.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Possibly, but not forgotten.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...