Will my second MCAT score hurt me??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by lainy105, Jul 27, 2006.

1. lainy105

lainy105 Junior Member

Medical Student
    Hi guys! please give me your opinions on this...

my first MCAT was a 27P (9,9,9). I retook it in april and got a 24P :( (8P, 6V, 10B). Don't know what on earth happened on my verbal section, but oh well. Do you think this will really hurt me with DO schools?? I'm very nervous..

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AngryBaby

AngryBaby El Hefe

Medical Student
    I'll answer just because no one else has yet. I thought that the 2nd score was the score most heavily weighted by virtually all schools, but a classmate of mine just told me that most schools take the highest of the 2 scores. I don't think that's accurate but it might be and since I'm all done with that biatch of an exam I don't really care. Some schools obviously average the scores from diff. exams and some take your highest composite score. If the MSAR doesn't tell you, surely a call to the admissions office will.

4. AlberttheGator

Pre-Medical
    That is what exactly happened to me and I retook it in april and got a 31P.

5. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Going down on your second attempt is one of the few things that you absolutely try to avoid 100%.

Now they can simply say, maybe your first score, which was decent, was a fluke.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

6. Hoberto

Hoberto Squirrel Girl

Attending Physician
    Some schools will take the highest score from each section and others will just average. You could call the schools you are most interested in and ask.

My guess would be it wouldn't prevent you from getting interviews but you can bet someone's going to ask you about the difference.

7. lainy105

lainy105 Junior Member

Medical Student
    Thank you, that is encouraging to hear. I had a death in the family the week before the test date, and I guess it affected me. I just hope I get in somewhere.

8. It'sElectric

Attending Physician
    Did you release your scores to all of your DO schools? If not, then don't.

9. bball1984

bball1984 Junior Member

Medical Student

You have to release all of your scores now. If you send one score, it sends them all to AACOMAS.

10. It'sElectric

Attending Physician
    ok, i'm out of the loop. Thanks for the new info.

11. chadderdo21

chadderdo21 One day at a time!

Fellow [Any Field]
    Don't worry about it, even if they see all of your scores, the school will still give you the tip of the hat for the best one, at least that is what my school (VCOM) does. Many schools do not even care about the MCAT as long as it around a 24 or so, your GPA and the interview is more important and really tells who you are. The MCAT is nothing but a flawed interpretation of what a med student really is, oh by the way, to clear up some fiction. The old story about MCATS coinciding with board scores is a myth. Our best person scored in the 95th perctentile and his MCAT was a 19! You are fine, good luck with applying! :)

12. DrCurious

DrCurious Senior Member

Your post makes me feel more confident about my own credentials, i have a decent GPA (3.54 overall, 3.6 scigpa) But the mcat was not kind to me, 25. I am retaking in august. I truly hope your right, I wouldnt mind getting an interview or two even before I get my 2nd mcat back (i know thats probably not gonna happen but i can hope)

13. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Banned
    Banned

Medical Student
    Since a 24 will get you into most DO schools anyway, it shouldn't matter much, especially since you actually went up in one section.

14. lainy105

lainy105 Junior Member

Medical Student
    Thanks guys!!!

15. HemaOncoDoc

HemaOncoDoc One Step At A Time

Fellow [Any Field]
    It will not hurt you much if at all. They take the best set of scores or the highest in each of the sections, both which are great. Don't worry about it so much. Concentrate on your secondaries and the upcoming interviews. They may ask you about it during interviews though. Just say you misbubbled on the verbal section. Lame...I know. Best of luck.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Why would you lie?

Also, Id like some evidence that all schools either take the best score or combine best scores.

Some do; I doubt all.