will my shoplifting record cost me dental school acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwer12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was numb and stupid. When I as 17 years old, I got caught shoplifting. I was arrested, but I was never convicted or charged because I did an intervention program.
I'm applying to dental school and I am freaking out because I know that they do background checks. I am in the process of getting it expunged because I didn't know that the record is still available, I thought it was sealed a long time ago. I know the process will take a while, so it may be expunged by the time I get accepted or it may not, so should I disclose this to the dental schools when I'm filling out my secondary application?
I know some schools won't even look at my application if I say I have a criminal history. But then again, I was never convicted or charged, the case was dismissed

Help please, I'm a good student, I just made a mistake! :(

Members don't see this ad.

If you were minor and you weren't formally charged, I would imagine this juvenile record would be forgiven if you did a diversion program. Isn't that what interventions are for?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a dude who posted here that got his acceptance rescinded for not revealing his shoplifting. If you get it expunged, does it get completely erased from the records or does it still show the incident?

The schools don't care if it was dismissed and you weren't formally charged. They know it's easy to get it dismissed with a lawyer and you still performed the criminal deed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Given that, I'd check with an attorney and see what the legal ramifications/classifications of this are.

if it's expunged, i believe it's erased form the record, but the thing is, it's not expunged. i'm in the process of getting it expunged, but i'm not sure if it'll be done on time.
should i just call up a lawyer and ask? i don't even have a lawyer lol...

so i should disclose this to dental schools?

I'd err on the side of caution and say yes. If you have grown from the experience and can talk about it as such, it might help your application. Conversely, if you don't disclose and this is still out there... That could be bad.

if it's expunged, i believe it's erased form the record, but the thing is, it's not expunged. i'm in the process of getting it expunged, but i'm not sure if it'll be done on time.
should i just call up a lawyer and ask? i don't even have a lawyer lol...

so i should disclose this to dental schools?
I would definitely disclose, they'll ask you about it in interviews. Be honest, tell them how you learned from your mistakes and grew from the experience. After all, you were still a minor.

so it would make a difference if I was a minor?
I really don't want this to decrease my chance of acceptance into the better schools

i know a guy that had a dui and got into a harder school to gain entrance.. so your shoplifting probably won't hold you back

You should go to the courthouse and request your records. If you were arrested then you were charged. Did you enter a plea? You need the facts first before you can make a decision. I had a reckless driving and failure to report an accident on my record and I got in.

I did a diversion program, and I called yesterday, they told me after I finished the program, the charges were dropped, I was not convicted. But the record of my arrest is still there...

Doesn't your record go clean when you turn 18?

I did a diversion program, and I called yesterday, they told me after I finished the program, the charges were dropped, I was not convicted. But the record of my arrest is still there...

You will have to reveal it in your app. School finding out about it from you is way better than them finding out about it during the background check.

to clarify, the guy didn't hide it. definitely talk about it in your app even if it might slide

You have to report convictions, no charges I believe. Pull your own background check and see what shows up.

I was numb and stupid. When I as 17 years old, I got caught shoplifting. I was arrested, but I was never convicted or charged because I did an intervention program.
I'm applying to dental school and I am freaking out because I know that they do background checks. I am in the process of getting it expunged because I didn't know that the record is still available, I thought it was sealed a long time ago. I know the process will take a while, so it may be expunged by the time I get accepted or it may not, so should I disclose this to the dental schools when I'm filling out my secondary application?
I know some schools won't even look at my application if I say I have a criminal history. But then again, I was never convicted or charged, the case was dismissed

Help please, I'm a good student, I just made a mistake! :(
It depends. If you were shoplifting for toothpaste and toothbrushes then you are fine butt... jk :naughty:
As other said. definitely talked about it in your application. Don't hide anything.