Will my status hold me back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedsurfer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys. I am a sophomore at UC**.

I lived in the U.S. for 9 years. My petition for green card was rejected, so i appealed it right away a year ago (haven't heard since then). I heard that appeal usually doesn't work out, so i don't expect to get the permanent residency.

I read that people can still apply for med school without u.s. citizenship/ perm. residency, and I plan to do my best and go for it.

I was wondering how slim my chance will be, simply looking at my legal status. Do med schools accept people like me? :confused: Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible for international applicants to get into US med schools. All med schools don't take internationals and many that do tend to be fairly selective med schools. So to have the best chances, you need to stay at the top of your game, getting an excellent GPA and strong MCAT score, with substantive extracurriculars in the areas of research, leadership, and nonmedical community service along with the customary clinical experience and shadowing.

hmm, i guess that i might be counted as an international student.
ok, thanks Catalystik. i guess that i still have a chance!

Members don't see this ad :)
One major problem I see is financial aid. Most of this goes through loans, a lot of lent directly by the US Dept of Ed or government-guaranteed loans issued by private lenders. This would be applicable for your undergrad as well.

How are you dealing with the loans portion of your financial aid currently?

Apply to all private schools that have little or no preference about in state students. They don't care about your status. GOod luck

Apply to all private schools that have little or no preference about in state students. They don't care about your status. GOod luck
I don't think IS vs. OOS is the issue... more like citizen/permanent resident vs. int'l applicant... in which case it has less to do with Private or Public and is more case-by-case.

One major problem I see is financial aid. Most of this goes through loans, a lot of lent directly by the US Dept of Ed or government-guaranteed loans issued by private lenders. This would be applicable for your undergrad as well.
This is an important point to consider, OP. As internationals often have difficulty getting loans, a number of med schools expect you to put the entire cost of your medical education (tuition and fees) into escrow to prove you have the means to pay for it.

You'd be in a much better postion with that green card. Have you hired an attorney to help with that?

The lawyer told my mother that it would take a year or longer until I'll hear from the appeal. Frankly, I think that there's a slim chance of getting a green card. If the dream act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream_Act) passes, i might be eligible for a conditional permanent residency.

I'll just do my best and apply. worst to worst comes, i'll have to leave the u.s. and go back to my home country to teach English with B.S. in biochemistry, haha T_T'''