Will my story work for me or against me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1027135

Looking for opinions on my situation and if they will combine well to make an application unique. Not sure where to begin so I’m gonna lay it all out.

I originally attended community college for three semesters many years ago and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. My grades were horrible and so I dropped out until 2018 when I decided to pursue medicine and finished my associates in one year redoing classes and graduating with a 3.67 and honors after starting with a 1.1 gpa. I have since then transferred to university where I continue to maintain a steady 3.45-3.55 gpa each semester. However, due to my first year, I have a cumulative gpa and science GPA of 2.8. I have also slowly begun to study for the mcat and based on recent diagnostic tests, I’ll have a 490. (Lots of work to do!)

Besides these chaotic grades, scores and transcript, I am currently and actively involved in volunteering on the inpatient floors at a local hospital and tending to patients 2-3 hours per week. I currently have 200 or so hours. I also actively participate in shadowing with an orthopedic surgeon where I have obtained 225 hours both in the clinic and operating room. I have clinical privilege where I can participate in exams and examine basic injuries of patients. I also have surgical privilege where I am allowed to scrub in and participate in surgery at a minimum level whenever I have time. (I just text the doc:) I am also a tutor for underprivileged elementary kids in a local city. During my time in community college I was part of the diversity committee and also co-founded and was co-president of the Neurodiversity club, a club designed to provide a relaxing, fun and interactive space for students with neurodivergent conditions to share their experiences with school and give advice to fellow students. I am currently searching for research positions and will also add this to my resume.

In addition to these activities, I also have more personal and some unique aspects to add to my resume. I became interested in medicine due to spending highschool and my first attempt at college on crutches or wheelchair due to severe knee and leg problems. I have had ten surgeries and have spent the last ten years enduring a wonderfully depressing experience that drives me towards medicine. It’s this experience that contributed to a majority of my depression that had affected my original grades. I also come from a low socioeconomic status where I was raised with a single mother and I am a first gen college student.

This is only a summary of my crazy life but does anyone think that these elements can come into play when applying? Obviously I need a higher MCAT score and should work on grades but what other things could I do to increase my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You must work harder on improving your GPA. There's no point in having a compelling story if your application automatically gets screened out. While 3.45-3.55 GPA per semester is an improvement from your first year, you'll need to start maintaining a 3.7 GPA minimum as a full-time student and develop a high upward trend.

Your ECs are fine at the moment. Don't be afraid to dial back your hours per week to focus more on classes and MCAT.

Read this: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Start considering the possibility of choosing DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looking for opinions on my situation and if they will combine well to make an application unique. Not sure where to begin so I’m gonna lay it all out.

I originally attended community college for three semesters many years ago and wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. My grades were horrible and so I dropped out until 2018 when I decided to pursue medicine and finished my associates in one year redoing classes and graduating with a 3.67 and honors after starting with a 1.1 gpa. I have since then transferred to university where I continue to maintain a steady 3.45-3.55 gpa each semester. However, due to my first year, I have a cumulative gpa and science GPA of 2.8. I have also slowly begun to study for the mcat and based on recent diagnostic tests, I’ll have a 490. (Lots of work to do!)

Besides these chaotic grades, scores and transcript, I am currently and actively involved in volunteering on the inpatient floors at a local hospital and tending to patients 2-3 hours per week. I currently have 200 or so hours. I also actively participate in shadowing with an orthopedic surgeon where I have obtained 225 hours both in the clinic and operating room. I have clinical privilege where I can participate in exams and examine basic injuries of patients. I also have surgical privilege where I am allowed to scrub in and participate in surgery at a minimum level whenever I have time. (I just text the doc:) I am also a tutor for underprivileged elementary kids in a local city. During my time in community college I was part of the diversity committee and also co-founded and was co-president of the Neurodiversity club, a club designed to provide a relaxing, fun and interactive space for students with neurodivergent conditions to share their experiences with school and give advice to fellow students. I am currently searching for research positions and will also add this to my resume.

In addition to these activities, I also have more personal and some unique aspects to add to my resume. I became interested in medicine due to spending highschool and my first attempt at college on crutches or wheelchair due to severe knee and leg problems. I have had ten surgeries and have spent the last ten years enduring a wonderfully depressing experience that drives me towards medicine. It’s this experience that contributed to a majority of my depression that had affected my original grades. I also come from a low socioeconomic status where I was raised with a single mother and I am a first gen college student.

This is only a summary of my crazy life but does anyone think that these elements can come into play when applying? Obviously I need a higher MCAT score and should work on grades but what other things could I do to increase my chances?
Trim the extra curricular crap. No one will read your story if you don’t get your grades/mcat up

Reactions: 1 users
Trim the extra curricular crap. No one will read your story if you don’t get your grades/mcat up

This! Your app will be auto screened most places because of your GPA. Cut back on your ECs for this semester and see if you can get a 3.7+ GPA. You have to improve your GPA. A good MCAT will not make up for a 2.xx GPA. (The average GPA for matriculating students is 3.7+). And you need more active involvement in stuff. Frat activities are sort of nebulous and I’ve gotten the impression they don’t add much to your application. But I could be totally wrong. Maybe search the forums and see what various ADCOMS have said in the past about fraternities.
And seriously look at DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user