Will my two masters degrees hurt my PhD app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synocure

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a dumb question, but I'm gonna be honest, I did some pretty dumb things in my 20's.

I have two masters degrees. One is a terminal clinical masters (that led to an LMHC license). The other is a research-based psychology degree (in which I did a thesis and got published, whoo!) What happened was I started out only wanting to be a counselor, hence the LMHC licensed. Later, I realized I wanted to do more psychological testing/assessment work, which was not possible with my license. I had NO research background at all, so I took the research-based experimental psychology degree in order to get research done, do a thesis, and actually learn statistics properly (since I had gotten C's on both of my stats classes in undergrad).

I feel like when narrated like this, it makes sense why I did 2 masters degrees. For someone who's just glancing at my application, though, I feel like this makes me look like I lack direction (or am foolish with my money lol...) My goal is a Clinical Psychology PhD program. What do you guys think? If it does look like I lack direction, how can I remedy this? Should I leave a degree off my CV/resume (obviously I'll include it on the application/send transcripts to be ethical)? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the degrees will hurt your application. They show a variety of interests, but in the same general field. I know many people in my program with unrelated master's degrees (e.g. Computer Science). I can only speak from my experience in my program though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makes sense to me. Many people who start out headed for being a MA level therapist decide that they want to do more. I very much prefer the path that you are taking as opposed to many who get an online doctorate and pretend to be a psychologist.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think diverse experience makes one a better clinician and researcher. It also shows that someone can function with different types of people effectively. The best researchers I've met draw information from a panoply of fields to gain insight into and expand their own work. You never know where inspiration for a new idea will come from. Just be who you are...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, everyone. This helps reassure me. I just didn't want to make it seem like I was "collecting degrees", since a masters in Counseling Psychology and a masters in Psychological Research can seem similar at quick glance. Should I address the multiple masters issue in my SOP, or write a separate supplemental statement to attach to my application?

This is a dumb question, but I'm gonna be honest, I did some pretty dumb things in my 20's.

I have two masters degrees. One is a terminal clinical masters (that led to an LMHC license). The other is a research-based psychology degree (in which I did a thesis and got published, whoo!) What happened was I started out only wanting to be a counselor, hence the LMHC licensed. Later, I realized I wanted to do more psychological testing/assessment work, which was not possible with my license. I had NO research background at all, so I took the research-based experimental psychology degree in order to get research done, do a thesis, and actually learn statistics properly (since I had gotten C's on both of my stats classes in undergrad).

I feel like when narrated like this, it makes sense why I did 2 masters degrees. For someone who's just glancing at my application, though, I feel like this makes me look like I lack direction (or am foolish with my money lol...) My goal is a Clinical Psychology PhD program. What do you guys think? If it does look like I lack direction, how can I remedy this? Should I leave a degree off my CV/resume (obviously I'll include it on the application/send transcripts to be ethical)? Help!

Hi Synocure! I too am hoping on transitioning from an LMHC to a Phd in Clinical Psychology and found this post very helpful. I went to a very clinically focused mental health counseling program and am now looking for a second masters to give me greater access to research experience. Would you mind sharing what school you got your research focused M.A from and whether you found there is a difference between general psych M.A's and experimental ones?

I appreciate any feedback!

Last edited: