Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Will Not Let Me Defer...help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jlsrn, Nov 6, 2001.

1. jlsrn

jlsrn Senior Member

Hi,

Med School will not let me defer...they said that they don't let any students do that...so I have a pregnant (high risk) wife, due in April, and I am supposed to start Med School at St. George's in January...(I also have a 3 year old)...not sure how the medical care is down there for OB kind of things...and don't really want to leave my family alone, and wife prengnant, and to deliver by herself...so thinking they should come with me...any suggestions..or advice? Thanks. :eek:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

jlsrn,

Geez - tough situation. I am certainly not someone who is in a position to be giving advice, but I'm just wondering if you are applying to other US schools currently. Maybe it would be worth it to take your chances and turn down St. Goerges (I'm assuming its a Carribean school?) I know that if I were in your shoes I would be reluctant to leave the US. I definitely could not imagine leaving a pregnant wife and a 3 year old alone either. Good luck whatever you do.

4. AceUF78

AceUF78 Membaaa....

Dude no offense, but you can afford to take chances with a 36 MCAT and probably a good GPA. Not everyone has that luxury. But JLSRN you should definitely come to a good decision about your family situation before you leave, or you'll be miserable in Grenada. Good Luck.

5. jlsrn

jlsrn Senior Member

Hi,

St. George's is my only chance right now...I retook the MCAT's in August and didn't do any better...actually went down to a 19....so no 36...St. George's said that they don't defer...I would have to withdraw my application, and reapply for August...but that is like playing Roulette...don't you think? Thanks.

:eek:

6. drdrtoledo

drdrtoledo Pharm Delicious

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi jlsrn,
    I wouldn't necessarily say that reapplying next year is "roulette". You were obviously qualified to attend there. St. George has 3 admission cycles per year. Just having been accepted once before would help you when you reapply. Schools don't like doing paperwork. You would be a pretty pre-wrapped package ;) . The only cause for concern would have been if you withdrew for a less serious reason. Given the circumstances, I would say that it would make you a better candidate. Humanity is an important trait for a doctor. Sacrificing yourself in order to assure the well-being of others is what its all about... and that is exactly what you are doing by standing by your spouse. Good Luck and be confident in your abilities... You already cimbed the mountain once.

7. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member

i think i know why your having this problem. my adviser told me that St. Goerges is a very money driven school. so, if you defer they lose money from you and the medical education.

good luck.

8. AceUF78

AceUF78 Membaaa....

I woudn't gamble a sure thing if I were you ...

9. moo

moo 1K Member

You have a point there. they don't want students using their school as a backup... get accepted and then defer to see if they can get into an onshore school

10. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

I say pack up your family and off you all go to sunny Grenada. Look into medical care for your wife asap. I bet the school would even help you with this. But GO! Take them all with you and GO.

11. mtnbke

mtnbke Junior Member

Is anyone else frightened by the fact that this individual might receive his medical education from a facility that he himself is hesitant to trust his own family to the care of?

I dunno if I want a doc from a school that he doesn't trust!

12. jlsrn

jlsrn Senior Member

Mtnbke,

Who said anything about not trusting the school? The school isn't going to deliver her baby...and by the way..do you know anything about St. George's. Doesn't sound like it to me....we don't need people on here to discourage "soon to be med students". This might be harsh..but why did you even post that? :rolleyes: