General Admissions & OTCAS Will observation hours kill my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYY13251

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I am applying this Fall for programs. I have completed all my pre-reqs. I am taking a psychology course since two schools said they will not accept it since its been 6 years and they want it to be within 5. But I did Anatomy 1 and 2, stats and sociology ( All A's) and mixed of A and B's for the other pre-reqs that some schools want. I am working on my essays but the one thing I am lacking is my observation hours.

I was doing well and had about 18 hours, but had a bad head injury in early June and have been out of work and pretty much life for over a month. I am not starting to get back to my normal routine. But since I have been out of work for so long, it is hard for me to go do my hours as much as I did. Most schools want at least 40. I should hit right around 40. If I plan on volunteering after I apply, can I put that on my application or explain why I may be a little short. I lost over a month of shadowing and it hurt... a lot. I am extremely frustrated and stressed because I do not want this to be the reason I do not get in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short, I am applying this Fall for programs. I have completed all my pre-reqs. I am taking a psychology course since two schools said they will not accept it since its been 6 years and they want it to be within 5. But I did Anatomy 1 and 2, stats and sociology ( All A's) and mixed of A and B's for the other pre-reqs that some schools want. I am working on my essays but the one thing I am lacking is my observation hours.

I was doing well and had about 18 hours, but had a bad head injury in early June and have been out of work and pretty much life for over a month. I am not starting to get back to my normal routine. But since I have been out of work for so long, it is hard for me to go do my hours as much as I did. Most schools want at least 40. I should hit right around 40. If I plan on volunteering after I apply, can I put that on my application or explain why I may be a little short. I lost over a month of shadowing and it hurt... a lot. I am extremely frustrated and stressed because I do not want this to be the reason I do not get in.

Thanks!

Usually the numbers school say are a hard cutoff. They are as much as a requirement as a pre-requisite course. If I were you, I would contact the schools I plan on applying to and ask them if they accept in progress hours and if you can submit proof of completion when you are done and how to do that. If they don't, personally I wouldn't apply there.

OTCAS allows you to list in progress hours and how many you expect to complete (unless it's changed recently).

Sorry to hear about the head injury. I had one that set me back a few months two years ago, they aren't fun!

Thanks. I'm going away in a week to visit my parents and my mom has an OT at her facility so I'm going to get maybe 8-10 hours in. With that, I should hit the cutoffs. I was hoping to get more then the minimum, which I think is 40 for most schools or at least the schools I am applying to.

I am applying through OTCAS, besides for two schools. So maybe I can still say in progress. Just want to get the applications and hours done!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also only completed the bare minimum observation hours (40 something) and was accepted to my first choice. As othopeful said, contact the schools you're applying to and ask them their policy and share your specific situation if the door opens in the conversation. I know some people have like 400+ hours of observation because they have worked or volunteered during undergrad, but if the other aspects of your application are strong, having an exorbitant amount of hours might not do you any more good. Good luck!

I think hours can separate you from the pack if you're lumped together with a bunch of applicants with similar stats. Like if you're at the top stat wise it won't matter as long as you have the min requirement but if you're in the middle of the pack the more the better. idk if that made sense but if you have a strong application you should be ok with the minimum. i'd keep getting hours in case you are waitlisted. i volunteered with a girl who was waitlisted by nyu and they told her to get more hrs while she was on it- she eventually got in while doing so.