Will post-undergrad neuropsych experiences help make me competitive for neuro practicums?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychFL91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up my undergrad degree and will be starting grad school this coming fall. Over the summer before grad school (post-undergrad) I will be administering neuropsych tests under the supervision of a neuropsychologist at an AMC. When I apply for neuro practicums in grad school will this experience be something that is taken into account, or are only my experiences from the beginning of grad school relevant for practicums? If yes, will this experience help at all when it comes to matching with a neuro internship as well?

Members don't see this ad.

It may not be necessary for practicum, but it can't hurt, especially if the supervisor is willing to give you a recommendation. What you do in grad school will be more important for internship applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Won't make any difference for internships. You won't be conceptualizing or report writing until you get to grad school. It MAY help for practica. Some more intensive neuropsych externships only take "advanced" students, and you may qualify if you're well versed in test administration (of the type they need at the site). You could possibly apply to these earlier and land something, but that all depends on your competition.

But I wouldn't worry about whether it's advantageous or not. It's good experience regardless, and will prime you for neuro training in the coming years. You also don't want to jump into an advanced practicum without a solid foundation.