drcushing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know if program directors can find out if an applicant rank them or not? and how high an applicant has rank them?

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Does anyone know if program directors can find out if an applicant rank them or not? and how high an applicant has rank them?
Program directors can only find out if an applicant ranked them if it is revealed through the match results. For example, if a program has 15 spots and the program director ranks Applicant X #13, and later finds out that Applicant X did not match to that program -- then this would suggest that Applicant X did not rank that program #1. It does not necessarily provide more accurate detail as to how high Applicant X ranked the program, however. In this hypothetical scenario, for Applicant X not to have matched to that program, it could be consistent with Applicant X ranking that program #2 or #10.

-AT.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
www.espn.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
PDs can also find out where you ultimately matched (if they ranked you).

ahd929

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2005
Status
Program directors can only find out if an applicant ranked them if it is revealed through the match results. For example, if a program has 15 spots and the program director ranks Applicant X #13, and later finds out that Applicant X did not match to that program -- then this would suggest that Applicant X did not rank that program #1. It does not necessarily provide more accurate detail as to how high Applicant X ranked the program, however. In this hypothetical scenario, for Applicant X not to have matched to that program, it could be consistent with Applicant X ranking that program #2 or #10.

-AT.
the key to this point, and more generally, is that a PD can really only deduce how you ranked them if you DON'T match at their program. the PD at the program you match at has no way of knowing your list.

drcushing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student
thanks for the info.
But will PDs find out if an applicant even ranked them or not?
I know that they will find out where everyone they ranked matched to tomorrow.

ResidentMD

7+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2009
Status
thanks for the info.
Not unless you match into the PD's program (or else if they ranked you high enough to match,but you still went to scramble)...someone should confirm this though

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
thanks for the info.
No we do not know.

If I end up in the scramble and don't match you and you end up in the scramble also, then it's obvious that you didn't rank me (or I didn't rank you). Other than that, there is no way for us to know.

pdintheusa

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2006
Status
Academic Administration
We get the list of where everyone we ranked is headed tomorrow.

We can also find out where students that we didn't rank end up by searching by Match History - if they matched, that is.

We have no way of knowing what order you put your list in as aProgramDirector states.

vhawk

2K Member
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
We get the list of where everyone we ranked is headed tomorrow.

We can also find out where students that we didn't rank end up by searching by Match History - if they matched, that is.

We have no way of knowing what order you put your list in as aProgramDirector states.
Is this only open to PDs, or is there a way for me to find out who filled in what spots as well? Basically, just curious where the people I remember from interviews ended up, etc. Wasnt sure if this "Match Outcome" thing has that or not.