Will psychiatry gets its peace of the pie with all these initiatives in mental health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyspy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like significantly increased awareness, and proliferation of a bunch of tech-based mental health startups that have MDs working at them (idk if they're psychiatrists)

But will psychiatry benefit from all this, or will midlevels seeking independence and others benefit more?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone these days can call themselves a therapist and it seems this is what the products are directed at, so I don't think psychiatrists will necessarily benefit.
People are also increasingly skeptical of medications (and rightly so).
Our niche will still be in SMI, acute care and all the legal ramifications associated with it as well as 'high end' practice for the wealthier who care about the credentials of their providers.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone these days can call themselves a therapist and it seems this is what the products are directed at, so I don't think psychiatrists will necessarily benefit.
Our niche will still be in SMI, acute care and all the legal ramifications associated with it as well as 'high end' practice for the wealthier who care about the credentials of their providers.
I'd be perfectly fine with any of those 3 provided pay/conditions are fair

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be perfectly fine with any of those 3 provided pay/conditions are fair

Pay is going up across the board. 'conditions' depend on the working place and vary a lot. You'd be hard to find a field with more flexibility than psychiatry though in terms of environment you want to work in or the hours you'd like to put. To phrase it in another way, you can forge your path the way you see fit; just don't run to the first employer who gives you a contract.

The title piqued my interest as I assumed you were talking about the BRAIN Initiative started in 2013, and I thought "peace of pie" was a clever pun and that perhaps the initiative was finally bearing fruit.

How silly of me.

I don't know about the "people are increasingly skeptical of medications" statement. I'll tell you that by the time people come to see me (and this is mostly kids, not even adults), they're pretty disappointed if they don't walk out with a prescription.

OP, this is a good question and one I've pondered myself. Possible ideas of the way this works out in terms of psychiatrists "benefitting" are:
- More abstract ideas that what we do is actually valuable. Psychiatry was (and still is often) the "not real medicine" medical field (both because of it's own history of actively rejecting medicalization of the field in the past and just perception by other specialities). Also because the conditions themselves have historically been more shameful than "real" medical conditions...there's a good personal experience article about this from a psychiatrist himself. Personal experience: Coming out - the psychotic psychiatrist - an account of the stigmatising experience of psychiatric illness
- Increased demand for services...which can be a double-edged sword because if demand exceeds supply too much (as we're still seeing), it provides much more of an opening/argument for other professionals to come in and offer their services to "help the shortage" (ex. NPs). In a roundabout way though this could lead to....
- Possibly, possibly increased reimbursement (both cash and insurance markets) especially if enough patients bitch at their insurance companies that they have no access to psychiatry when they're trying to get in. Less social barrier to going to psychiatry means more people as willing to see a psychiatrist as they would a dermatologist.

Now, this is very theoretical as it requires the actual customers (the patients/companies buying insurance) to put pressure on the insurance companies to spend money to expand their network in a large way.
As much as we don't think they do, insurance companies do pay attention to see if their rates are competitive with other companies in the area and if/why they're having significant customer attrition, even though we may not see this on an individual level day to day (because of course their ultimate goal is to pay us as little as possible). HR for companies also have the ability to change what health insurance they contract out with and so if they get enough employees complaining about the mental health network coverage of a certain insurance provider for instance, they have the capability to switch the company from Cigna to BCBS or pressure Cigna to expand their network because they don't want to lose their employees to the guy down the street who has better health insurance offerings.

Reactions: 1 users
One thing I’ve noticed more recently is that a quite a few Youtube channels are being sponsored by mental health app companies, which tend to be focused on matching up patients to counsellors, therapists or other kinds of exercises. So while I doubt any of this advertising revenue will flow directly to those of not using those platforms, the audience that these channels have is likely to create additional demand for psychiatric services further down the track through both increasing awareness and de-stigmatisation.

yeah, folks will always want their stimulant for ADHD that started at age 31 and of course folks be anxious...Xanax 2mg qid....nothing else works....
and I just refuse the pain medication requests.....Had a new favorite where patient was trying to convince me Percocet was only thing that took the voices away...haha

Seems like significantly increased awareness, and proliferation of a bunch of tech-based mental health startups that have MDs working at them (idk if they're psychiatrists)

But will psychiatry benefit from all this, or will midlevels seeking independence and others benefit more?

These startups are started by tech bros and venture capital bros to make lots of money, quickly. So no, I do not expect to get any piece of their pie. Nor would I want to.

I do expect them to employ lots of midlevels because midlevels are easier to control. Midlevels don't understand medicine and do not come from a tradition of independent practice, or thinking. There are news articles that mention NPs at these startups having thousands of patients on their panels, seeing 10 "ADHD" patients an hour.

I admit seeing business people make money in our field (millions, billions in the case of Cerebral), with zero personal liability under the full force and protection of corporate laws, makes practicing medicine and all its obligations and stressors less appealing. It seems opening a corporate clinic, as a business person, and hiring a bunch of NPs and one naive MD as a "medical director" is easier than starting one's own psychiatric clinic. The former requires a singular focus on business, the latter requires focusing on business and medicine.

Reactions: 6 users