Eskibot

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Ive been scribing for abot 2 months now and I cant deny that it is a good way to get exposed to cool clinical experience and see different sort of cases. But the 24 hour a week of scribing, school, research, and volunteering doesnt leave me much time to do anything else, which is completely fine with me now. However, I am taking the MCAT in May and I really dont see how I'll be able to adequately study for that while scribing since from what Ive heard, people drop 7-8 hrs a day grinding the MCAT

Would quitting around December (which will put me at 6 months and ~400 hours) look bad if I decide to put it on my app?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Ive been scribing for abot 2 months now and I cant deny that it is a good way to get exposed to cool clinical experience and see different sort of cases. But the 24 hour a week of scribing, school, research, and volunteering doesnt leave me much time to do anything else, which is completely fine with me now. However, I am taking the MCAT in May and I really dont see how I'll be able to adequately study for that while scribing since from what Ive heard, people drop 7-8 hrs a day grinding the MCAT

Would quitting around December (which will put me at 6 months and ~400 hours) look bad if I decide to put it on my app?

It won't raise any major red flags, and focusing on the MCAT is by far the most important thing you can do at this point.

Reactions: Mr_Churchill
About the Ads

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Do you think it'll still be worthwhile to put it on my app?

I would definitely still list it on your application, as 400 hours aggregate is still pretty significant clinical exposure. And as you state, scribing is pretty informative in terms of what being a physicians is actually all about. I worked an entry level health care job for roughly 7 months, 600 total hours, listed it and am having a good cycle thus far. I think as long as you hit around 6 months no one will bat an eye, especially in scribing where the turnover rate is so high.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Do you think it'll still be worthwhile to put it on my app?
Yes. Do you plan to have other active clinical experience? Or will you resume this type of work once the MCAT is taken?

OP
Eskibot

Eskibot

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
I would definitely still list it on your application, as 400 hours aggregate is still pretty significant clinical exposure. And as you state, scribing is pretty informative in terms of what being a physicians is actually all about. I worked an entry level health care job for roughly 7 months, 600 total hours, listed it and am having a good cycle thus far. I think as long as you hit around 6 months no one will bat an eye, especially in scribing where the turnover rate is so high.
Alright that makes sense. Thats assuring hearing that you are having success this cycle. Congrats!

Reactions: workaholic181
OP
Eskibot

Eskibot

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes. Do you plan to have other active clinical experience? Or will you resume this type of work once the MCAT is taken?
I will still keep my current hospital volunteering, where I actually get to interact with the patients directly

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
I will still keep my current hospital volunteering, where I actually get to interact with the patients directly
Terrific! You'll be fine then for active clinical experience expectations.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
Yes, list it! It's a valuable medically-related experience.

As for the 6 months - not a big deal - many have to change their plans because a new semester can have different demands.

Last edited:
OP
Eskibot

Eskibot

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Terrific! You'll be fine then for active clinical experience expectations.
okay great! thanks!

Yes, put list it! It's a valuable medically-related experience.

As for the 6 months - not a big deal - many have to change their plans because a new semester can have different demands.
Alright, I just don't want to come off like I wasn't dedicated to the job or anything like that

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
I just don't want to come off like I wasn't dedicated to the job or anything like that
It is hoped that you have some experiences of greater than a year's duration, but that doesn't mean that all of them have to be that long.

Reactions: Eskibot

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
It can be difficult for full time students to do scribing for very long periods of time since many shifts are 8-12 hours long. I would think that adcoms would know that.

What else are you doing?

OP
Eskibot

Eskibot

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
It can be difficult for full time students to do scribing for very long periods of time since many shifts are 8-12 hours long. I would think that adcoms would know that.

What else are you doing?
Besides the other EC as listed before on the original post, nothing for this semester. But in the spring time baseball season starts again so I'll be an assistant coach again.

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
After 6 months scribing has diminishing returns anyway.

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
What do you mean? Like by then you probably would of saw everything?

Not that you would of seen everything, but scribing pays relatively little compared to how difficult it is. The low pay is offset by the experience, which tends to trail off after you get situated in the emergency department. (You learn a lot of essential information in the very beginning about how the healthcare system works, dealing with patients, etc). A lot of scribes seem to accumulate 3000+ hours from years of working but you're actually better off diversifying your experiences (volunteering, clinical research, basic science research, etc).

Reactions: mcworbust

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Keep it. You'll be fine. You're making the right decision by discontinuing it. Just make sure to give them two weeks notice and you'll be dandy!

Reactions: Eskibot
OP
Eskibot

Eskibot

2+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2016
Virginia
Status
Pre-Medical
Not that you would of seen everything, but scribing pays relatively little compared to how difficult it is. The low pay is offset by the experience, which tends to trail off after you get situated in the emergency department. (You learn a lot of essential information in the very beginning about how the healthcare system works, dealing with patients, etc). A lot of scribes seem to accumulate 3000+ hours from years of working but you're actually better off diversifying your experiences (volunteering, clinical research, basic science research, etc).
Gotcha gotcha, yeah it does seem like a very good experience so far and the docs are willing to explain anything I ask. But the minimum wage pay isnt that cool lol

About the Ads