will residency chances be affected by illness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessimai1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year (my M1) I was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease. I was only 12 weeks into school, a week fromthe gross and histo final, but I decided to tough it out and stay in. Needless to say my GPA is only a 2.7, but I have been very involved in class and evencontinued to serve a community service chair. I mostly decided to stay in school for peace of mind while I was sick. HOw do you think this will be viewed when I apply for a residency in a few years, and what can I do to overcome this start?

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, take comfort in the fact that the first year of medical school is valued the least in the residency application process. I would also say that you have displayed a lot of courage and perseverance by continuing through school while undergoing treatment. My hat is off to you. As you regain your health, begin to work harder in school and hopefully you can succeed in year 2 and most importantly year 3. If that does happen, I would see no reason why you could not pursue any residency you would like.

Good luck you to.

As an aside, from hearing some PDs talk about discussing "excuses" (i.e. I was ill in this time period) is really not necessary as long as you have shown improvement. Others opinons may be varied....

I think in your ERAS application, if you mention your "story," it will actually improve your application... instantly you will put a personality to your residency application, and that counts for a lot.

Good luck with everything.

Q, DO