Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Will schools begin to interview me if I meet their requirements(even if retaking mcat

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by arana, Jun 18, 2002.

  1. arana

    arana Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2002
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    I plan to submit my application in by the end of June, but I'm planning to retake the mcat in august. Does anybody know if schools will interview me if I meet their minimum requirements now, or do they automatically wait until the august mcat scores arrive in octber before they interview? MCAT now is 33Q. :confused: :confused:
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Mutterkuchen

    Mutterkuchen Senior Member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2001
    Messages:
    804
    Likes Received:
    3
    This is a joke, right?
     
  4. arana

    arana Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2002
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    A joke? why do you say that?
     
  5. DrBravesgirl

    DrBravesgirl Surgeon for a year

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2002
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Because that's an awesome MCAT score! Why are you retaking--I'd be shrieking with joy! Congratulations! <img border="0" alt="[Clappy]" title="" src="graemlins/clappy.gif" />
     
  6. arana

    arana Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2002
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just think I can do better, because I did not do too hot in one section. Does anyone who applied last year with a decent mcat/ high GPA who retook in aug. get interviews even without august results in?
     
  7. Soda pop

    Soda pop Member

    Joined:
    May 5, 2002
    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    0
    Arana...
    Great thread! I am in the similar situation!
    *BUMP*
     
  8. freakazoid

    freakazoid Guy Friend Extraordinaire

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2002
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    0
    me too, yo! lemme know!!
     
  9. SolidGold

    SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2002
    Messages:
    1,828
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I plan on retaking it too, I would like to know this as well.
     
  10. Mcatatonia

    Mcatatonia Junior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2002
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    yeah does anyone know ? <img border="0" title="" alt="[Eek!]" src="eek.gif" />
     
  11. </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by arana:
    <strong>I plan to submit my application in by the end of June, but I'm planning to retake the mcat in august. Does anybody know if schools will interview me if I meet their minimum requirements now, or do they automatically wait until the august mcat scores arrive in octber before they interview? MCAT now is 33Q. :confused: :confused: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you are making the right decision to retake the MAT. I feel that you can bust out a 42 in August. However from the sound of your post you will need this high score as your GPA seems weak. Is it a 3.0? Upon retake if you get anything below a 38 consider a DO school.
     
  12. imtiaz

    imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2000
    Messages:
    2,615
    Likes Received:
    15
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by arana:
    <strong>I plan to submit my application in by the end of June, but I'm planning to retake the mcat in august. Does anybody know if schools will interview me if I meet their minimum requirements now, or do they automatically wait until the august mcat scores arrive in octber before they interview? MCAT now is 33Q. :confused: :confused: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">they will wait to make a decision to interview you if your numbers arent past their interview invitation cutoff point. as most schools use solely numbers to interview applicants, with a 33Q you are above the cutoff at most US alopathic schools. however, some schools use a GPA + MCAT formula to get a composite score, which then is used to invite candidates. so if your gpa is strong then you will get the interview invite. (why are you retaking with a 33Q anyway?!). anyhow, after the interview, when your august scores arrive (if youre not already in by then) they will be looked at for an acceptance/rejection/waitlist decision most probably. good luck!
     
  13. Bikini Princess

    Joined:
    May 26, 2002
    Messages:
    793
    Likes Received:
    0
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jack786:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by arana:
    <strong>MCAT now is 33Q. :confused: :confused: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you are making the right decision to retake the MAT. I feel that you can bust out a 42 in August. However from the sound of your post you will need this high score as your GPA seems weak. Is it a 3.0? Upon retake if you get anything below a 38 consider a DO school.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Either the above poster is being facetious, or is being malicious. An MCAT score of 33Q is above average at almost all programs. If you scored &lt;7 in one section, and you know you can do better, go for it! <img border="0" title="" alt="[Wink]" src="wink.gif" />
     
  14. imtiaz

    imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2000
    Messages:
    2,615
    Likes Received:
    15
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Bikini Princess:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jack786:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by arana:
    <strong>MCAT now is 33Q. :confused: :confused: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you are making the right decision to retake the MAT. I feel that you can bust out a 42 in August. However from the sound of your post you will need this high score as your GPA seems weak. Is it a 3.0? Upon retake if you get anything below a 38 consider a DO school.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Either the above poster is being facetious, or is being malicious. An MCAT score of 33Q is above average at almost all programs. If you scored &lt;7 in one section, and you know you can do better, go for it! <img border="0" title="" alt="[Wink]" src="wink.gif" /> </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">he's a troll. ignore.
     
  15. Anath

    Anath Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2002
    Messages:
    314
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hmmm... this is a bit different from what we were told last year. Unless things have changed between last year and this year, which I dont' really think it has, this is what happens:

    Most adcoms will hold off on evaluating your application if they see that you are retaking the MCATs. They will wait until your scores come in. This is partly why they say "not" to take the August MCAT if you're worried about rolling admissions b/c the committees aren't going to evaluate you until those 2nd set of scores come in.

    However, the schools will have your files, so have your pre-med committee send in the LOR now. Get that out the way.
     
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  17. savoy

    savoy Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2002
    Messages:
    30
    Likes Received:
    0
    dra. foxy just started a thread that directly addresses this issue. there are a few people that have already replied saying that interview invites are extended without aug scores. there's more to an application than an mcat score: i had two interview invites before my aug scores came back and my april scores were awful! i think it says something about the schools too, if they are taking the time to look at the whole application... :)
     
  18. Doctora Foxy

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Messages:
    5,368
    Likes Received:
    2
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I spoke with the Dean of USF after I was rejected and asked him this question. He said they they review files if a pevious mcat score is in and an interview could be offered, but he said he can't speak for other schools.
     

Share This Page