Will schools know about previous acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverItchyMous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know how true it is, but why would you turn down an acceptance to reapply? If I was an adcom and I knew you did that, you'd better be ready to explain.

...and yesterday you posted a thread in pre-dental about applying to dental school as a MS-0 or MS-1:rolleyes:

Someone needs a life coach. Figure out what you want to do before you apply and stop screwing around

Members don't see this ad :)
If they would/wouldn't, what are you going to do differently? Don't apply until you're ready, only apply to schools you'd actually attend, and only apply once. If nothing else, it's an expensive process. I don't know that there is a definite answer to your question. Even if there is no central database that contains this detail, people talk.

Just as a point of interest, if one gets accepted into school X, give up his seat before March to reapply next cycle, would other schools have knowledge about this? Does the time frame where one gives up the seat matter in terms of other schools being able to find out about it?

I'm asking becuase I've heard that schools (not just the school one rejects the acceptance offer) frown upon applicants who do this, and they practically have zero chances of getting accepted into any US medical in the future. Is this true?

They will generally at least know you are a reapplicant. Reapplicants have a heavier burden because they are expected to show substantial improvement. The short answer is that you are generally less competitive the following year with the same application, and so you have to run forward just to be staying at the same place. Meaning a guy who was borderline for a top school but came up short and then resubmitted the following year with basically the same application will no longer even be borderline. And this is even before taking into account that every year the average stats of applicants seem to creep up slightly, particularly in years when the economy is bad.

In general you never want to give up a decent acceptance in hopes of a better one in a future year. This almost always turns out badly. And you don't want to go into a cycle if there's a chance you are going to bail out and try again another year. Bad ideas. Figure out if you want to be a doctor, get your ducks in a row, apply once, with your best foot forward, and attend wherever you are given the "best" opportunity. Down the road, no one will care where you did med school, only where you trained (residency/fellowship).