Will seeing a therapist affect me later on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MindBody2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, basically, I've been going through a chronic health issue which has made me somewhat anxious over the past few weeks and my family suggested that I see a therapist for CBT or try mindfulness meditation etc. If I do see a therapist (and bill to my insurance rather than paying out of pocket), could this and will this affect me later on somehow (in terms of getting a job etc..)?

Re: previous posts on sdn on this http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/will-seeing-a-psychiatrist-destroy-my-chances.274258/
is this true? (for residency licensing etc...)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seeking treatment for mental health reasons is no different than seeking treatment for anything else.

It is nobody's business but your own.

Reactions: 3 users
There are careers where seeing a mental health professional pretty much kills your career, and the uneducated often look down on it.

This includes the military and most security-related government jobs. A lot of psychological disorders, even something as simple as SSRI use, preclude getting a commercial pilot's license.

That said, I think this is all kinds of foolish, and derision of mental health treatment is a general marker for lack of openness to experience and education.

The most damaged people can go to therapy and grow stronger and healthier than people who hide, repress, or act out on their underlying psychological issues. med school adcoms don't care and don't need to know about it, and academia will hold a similar view, but institutions run by very unsophisticated people view it unfavorably.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are careers where seeing a mental health professional pretty much kills your career, and the uneducated often look down on it.

This includes the military and most security-related government jobs. A lot of psychological disorders, even something as simple as SSRI use, preclude getting a commercial pilot's license. And God knows you should never, ever, ever disclose mental health issues anywhere to the shallow, petty idiots who dominate the business world.

That said, I think this is all kinds of foolish, and derision of mental health treatment is a general marker for lack of openness to experience and education.

The most damaged people can go to therapy and grow stronger and healthier than people who hide, repress, or act out on their underlying psychological issues. med school adcoms don't care and don't need to know about it, and academia will hold a similar view, but institutions run by very unsophisticated people view it unfavorably.

Does this mean it's better to pay out of pocket for seeing a therapist?

Paying out of pocket vs. insurance won't affect your job prospects. Businesses and schools won't look through your insurance history before offering you a position. Get the help you need and let your insurance pay for it.

No.

I have had multiple advisees with long histories of seeing therapists and even inpatient psychiatric episodes. Not only has it never been an issue either for medical school or residency, many schools provide mental health services along with other student health services that as private as any other patient.

To not see a therapist while suffering from issues in fear that it may affect your opportunities in medicine is, frankly, crazy and you should have your examined for such thoughts.

Seeing a therapist does limit broader options if med school doesn't work out.

Being an airline pilot, for example, is a fantastic job, and career options in the security apparatus are a good option for many. When you apply for these jobs, they get to see everything the therapist writes down, and will actively disqualify for many disorders and subjectively can you on account of most mental illnesses.

Adcoms are extremely sophisticated and typically composed of relatively emotionally mature individuals, and have access to 4+ years of academic performance, an MCAT, EC's, and letters of reference. They're not really examining signaling, they're examining substance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm very open about seeing a psychiatrist. Medicine is very tolerant. I had one doc ask me if I was taking medicine for being "diseased", but I told him I was being treated for the AIDS in my butt and we got along. *shrug*

Second with the airline pilot. They scrutinize mental health histories like mad... but this is not the airlines, there should not be an issue.

However, your top priority should be taking care of yourself and making sure that YOU are better. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user