Will some BEAUTIFUL soul PLEASE help up a fella out with ANY insight on MEDICINE COMAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmandudeguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says. Theres like zero information anywhere on the Internet for expericne on the IM COMAT. Like at all... its suprising you'd think someone would've asked within the last year.

So Yea Yea I KNOW COMATs suck and you can't predict them. But I have 5 weeks and I'd like to honor after speaking to multiple PDs that An H is looked very highly on by them. So I want to atleast try. Could you please reccomend what you used and if it correlated at all to your score. I have COMQ COMBANK and UWORLD. I won't finish uworld on time for the comat for sure so I don't know if I should do anything else for completeness sake cuz combank and comq have less questions. Amy resources that were at all helpful? Any TOPICS you thought were more representative or even unexpected you think I could read up on?

Grasping for straws here. Would be incredibly grateful for some input.

FYI: I did take Psych OB and Surg incase people wanted input on this year's shelfs for those subjects

Stay Happy, Peace out!

Members don't see this ad.

Just as the title says. Theres like zero information anywhere on the Internet for expericne on the IM COMAT. Like at all... its suprising you'd think someone would've asked within the last year.

So Yea Yea I KNOW COMATs suck and you can't predict them. But I have 5 weeks and I'd like to honor after speaking to multiple PDs that An H is looked very highly on by them. So I want to atleast try. Could you please reccomend what you used and if it correlated at all to your score. I have COMQ COMBANK and UWORLD. I won't finish uworld on time for the comat for sure so I don't know if I should do anything else for completeness sake cuz combank and comq have less questions. Amy resources that were at all helpful? Any TOPICS you thought were more representative or even unexpected you think I could read up on?

Grasping for straws here. Would be incredibly grateful for some input.

FYI: I did take Psych OB and Surg incase people wanted input on this year's shelfs for those subjects

Stay Happy, Peace out!

do as much of the medicine section of UWorld as you can. that's all you can really do.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't taken this year's version, but the common thread is to expect a lot of GI.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used step up 2 medicine and I got honors just by reading the first couple chapters only. I had a lot of rheumatology. My friend had a lot of infectious disease on his. It's all a crap shoot. Just know broad diagnoses and treatments and you'll be fine.

Thanks guys I appreciate the input! jrlob would you say any particular chapters you really found useful? That book is super dense. I try to use it as much as i can but its hard to rush through since almost every word is high yield haha. The first few chapters are cardio and pulm I believe. Was the rheum chapter helpful as well?

Thanks guys I appreciate the input! jrlob would you say any particular chapters you really found useful? That book is super dense. I try to use it as much as i can but its hard to rush through since almost every word is high yield haha. The first few chapters are cardio and pulm I believe. Was the rheum chapter helpful as well?
It would probably be good to read all of cardio and pulm, as there are some management intricacies for a lot of CV diseases, then definitely look at GI, and any other small systems you may not feel as comfortable with, i.e. Rheum, derm, endo, etc. I had very little infectious disease on mine, but this test varies a lot from person to person. The Highest yield material imo is what is the best test to do, or what is the diagnosis.

I would honestly say GI>Cardio>Pulm. But that's only my own experience.

Awesome! Thank you for the insight gentlemen and women. Definitely hit up those three big topics. Im surprised about the ID though. For some reason I figured comat would be big on bugs. Ill still read up on it though just in case

I did about 500 Medicine UWorld questions and 300 COMBANK questions, read some Step Up to Medicine, watched all the IM Online MedEd videos over the two months and ended up with a 123 on the COMAT. My only regret was to not do more UWorld questions.

My personal experience was that it was a very poorly written exam. UWorld only helped so much. They tested the concepts differently. I felt I had to kind of interpret the question the way the test writer wanted me to interpret it to get the correct answer. I passed with average scores, but I was doing quite well in UWorld. I did not take any NBME so I cannot comment too strongly on that. I also started with Step up to Medicine, but then I started IM Essentials which really helped I felt for UWorld. Good luck to you.

I did about 500 Medicine UWorld questions and 300 COMBANK questions, read some Step Up to Medicine, watched all the IM Online MedEd videos over the two months and ended up with a 123 on the COMAT. My only regret was to not do more UWorld questions.
Holy **** thats f-ing awesome dude!! I will definitely try to do as much uworld as i can realistically. But did you find uworld actually helped you prepare for the comats? Ive always felt that the bizzare question style and random details the comlex/comat emphasized were not always aligned with the nbme style of objective puzzle solving. Any particular topics you felt uworld helped you prepare with?

My personal experience was that it was a very poorly written exam. UWorld only helped so much. They tested the concepts differently. I felt I had to kind of interpret the question the way the test writer wanted me to interpret it to get the correct answer. I passed with average scores, but I was doing quite well in UWorld. I did not take any NBME so I cannot comment too strongly on that. I also started with Step up to Medicine, but then I started IM Essentials which really helped I felt for UWorld. Good luck to you.
Thanks bud! I use IME as well. I find its nice on rotations when you want real solid information thats also clinically applicable. And that whole interpreting the NBOME style of questions is my very same worry for investing my remaining time in uworld. I use uworld to learn real life information that I will use forever.. but the comlex... i find i need to drill comquest and comlex to get that strange wording and obnoxious read-between-the-lines style questions. Is that what you felt?

Holy **** thats f-ing awesome dude!! I will definitely try to do as much uworld as i can realistically. But did you find uworld actually helped you prepare for the comats? Ive always felt that the bizzare question style and random details the comlex/comat emphasized were not always aligned with the nbme style of objective puzzle solving. Any particular topics you felt uworld helped you prepare with?

Well, I feel like you can never go wrong with doing uworld. Even if the question styles aren't similar, the knowledge gained by doing those questions are invaluable. I felt like a lot of stuff were step 1 stuff that uworld refreshed me on.

Well, I feel like you can never go wrong with doing uworld. Even if the question styles aren't similar, the knowledge gained by doing those questions are invaluable. I felt like a lot of stuff were step 1 stuff that uworld refreshed me on.
Gotcha. Sounds good man. Thanks again!