Will someone explain the TX admissions process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweedledee2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still confused about how the Texas admissions process works... I understand the basics (MCAT, application, interview), but I keep hearing about ranking and matching? Are there different paths to admission other than a straight-up offer after you interview?Sorry for such a silly question...

Members don't see this ad.

I am still confused about how the Texas admissions process works... I understand the basics (MCAT, application, interview), but I keep hearing about ranking and matching? Are there different paths to admission other than a straight-up offer after you interview?Sorry for such a silly question...
It's okay, but you need to do some reading on your own. The process is complicated but there are a multitude of resources available online to help you with this. SDN is one, but before you post a new thread, try using the search function to find answers to your questions first. But actually, the best place for you to start would be the TMDSAS website itself. Here's the link:

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/homepage.html

Read through the topics on the left-hand side, read through the FAQ, and afterwards, if you still have specific questions about certain details of the process, return here and ask them in the "Republic of Texas" or "TMDSAS questions" thread. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
No worries. The Texas system works a lot like the residency match process. I'm bored today so I'll break down the major points:

1) Texas schools have their own application service (TMDSAS)
2) After interviewing, there are no straight up acceptances or rejections.
3) From November 15th-December 31st, schools can accept applicants they have already interviewed. This is called 'pre-match'. Not pre-matching doesn't mean you have been rejected nor does it mean you will be accepted. Some schools send out many pre-matches, some send out few.
4) By January 21st, applicants are required to submit a ranking list of the schools they interviewed with. The schools will also submit a ranking list of all of their interviewees for the season.
5) An algorithm "matches" the applicants to a school, favoring the applicant, not the school. This is on February 1st (Feb 3rd this year because of the weekend.)
6) Following the match, there is regular waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's okay, but you need to do some reading on your own. The process is complicated but there are a multitude of resources available online to help you with this. SDN is one, but before you post a new thread, try using the search function to find answers to your questions first. But actually, the best place for you to start would be the TMDSAS website itself. Here's the link:

http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/homepage.html

Read through the topics on the left-hand side, read through the FAQ, and afterwards, if you still have specific questions about certain details of the process, return here and ask them in the "Republic of Texas" or "TMDSAS questions" thread. Hope this helps.
I appreciate the info, I had no idea where to look!

No worries. The Texas system works a lot like the residency match process. I'm bored today so I'll break down the major points:

1) Texas schools have their own application service (TMDSAS)
2) After interviewing, there are no straight up acceptances or rejections.
3) From November 15th-December 31st, schools can accept applicants they have already interviewed. This is called 'pre-match'. Not pre-matching doesn't mean you have been rejected nor does it mean you will be accepted. Some schools send out many pre-matches, some send out few.
4) By January 21st, applicants are required to submit a ranking list of the schools they interviewed with. The schools will also submit a ranking list of all of their interviewees for the season.
5) An algorithm "matches" the applicants to a school, favoring the applicant, not the school. This is on February 1st (Feb 3rd this year because of the weekend.)
6) Following the match, there is regular waitlist movement.
Thank you!!I am assuming that since Baylor is not TMDSAS they don't have this same process? Or do they follow along with the public schools?

TMDSAS's website is the best place for more information. Sorry for being a little snarky but looking up basic information via a simple google search should be elementary.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!!I am assuming that since Baylor is not TMDSAS they don't have this same process? Or do they follow along with the public schools?

Correct, Baylor does not participate in the match.

TMDSAS's website is the best place for more information. Sorry for being a little snarky but looking up basic information via a simple google search should be elementary.
Or coming to a forum where friendly folks will spoon-feed you the information is also helpful ;)