Will start studying, how/what order to use practice materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

random1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting DAT studying and hoping to take it this December or January. I have Cliff's AP Biology, KBB (older colorless version though), and will purchase Crack Dat Pat and DAT destroyer soon.

I anticipate my weakest section will be the PAT as it's nothing I've really done before so does anyone recommend any other resources for this section? How should I get started? Just dive into Crack Dat Pat?

Also, my background in biology and chemistry is fairly good, so should I just start Destroyer problems and make a note of what I am doing wrong or should I read through content first?

I will use TopScore for practice exams near the end and of course the ADA sample test and the 2009 test.

Should I use anything else?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My suggestion is to go over KBB first as a guide, and then start CDP to improve your score. For the sciences, yes you can go straight to destroyer to get a feel of your weakest area and focus on that. Many people will also suggest achiever (very hard, but it makes you study more), though I didn't have time for that.

Yes I used the whole package. I think the bio section is valuable and definitely improved my mark. I was getting an average of 21 on qvault and my real one is 23. Of course I had some previous science background but qvault points out your weak area. The charts they made for you (especially the animal diversity one) is very good and if you memorize that you will be set for that section. GC and OC can help, I think they are good practice and my real dat was quite similar. My score increase from an average of 25 GC to 28 and 21 OC to 22. Math I didn't bother with it since most of the time I get all of them right. Reading is too long (like 20 paragraph), while real dat is like 12-13 paragraph long. But if you can finish it on time, then real test is a cake.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I'm doing, exam end of August.

I did all of chad's videos for QR, now on math destroyer.
About to finish Chad gen chem, I am doing quizzes and will do them 1 more time before hitting gen chem destroyer.
Chad Orgo (my strongest subject) starting next week.
Once done with that, all destroyer.

I also took Chad's bio quizzes, I've been reading and taking quizzes in Cliff's AP and I have used Crack PAT for 5 exams so far. I am so grateful to have PAT and not physics, PHEW!

I also have been looking at Barron's AP index cards. I just need more sources for higher level biology which I may find online.
I did 1 reading comp so far but I heard topscore reading comp is the best so I'll wait until I'm ready for my first practice exam.

Yes I used the whole package. I think the bio section is valuable and definitely improved my mark. I was getting an average of 21 on qvault and my real one is 23. Of course I had some previous science background but qvault points out your weak area. The charts they made for you (especially the animal diversity one) is very good and if you memorize that you will be set for that section. GC and OC can help, I think they are good practice and my real dat was quite similar. My score increase from an average of 25 GC to 28 and 21 OC to 22. Math I didn't bother with it since most of the time I get all of them right. Reading is too long (like 20 paragraph), while real dat is like 12-13 paragraph long. But if you can finish it on time, then real test is a cake.

Thank you so much, God bless. I will definitely order a subscription then.

This is what I'm doing, exam end of August.

I did all of chad's videos for QR, now on math destroyer.
About to finish Chad gen chem, I am doing quizzes and will do them 1 more time before hitting gen chem destroyer.
Chad Orgo (my strongest subject) starting next week.
Once done with that, all destroyer.

I also took Chad's bio quizzes, I've been reading and taking quizzes in Cliff's AP and I have used Crack PAT for 5 exams so far. I am so grateful to have PAT and not physics, PHEW!

I also have been looking at Barron's AP index cards. I just need more sources for higher level biology which I may find online.
I did 1 reading comp so far but I heard topscore reading comp is the best so I'll wait until I'm ready for my first practice exam.

Wow you have done a lot, I am sure you will do awesome! I can't wait to see your dat breakdown if you do one. Thank you so much for the input, I'm looking into Chad right now.