Not open for further replies.

heavymetal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hey all,

I've gotten a few people's opinion on this, but I wanted to ask you guys: I got a great Step 1 score and a so-so Step 2 score - going from a 257 to a 225. I'd like to get into a competitive Gen Surg residency. Knowing nothing else about me, how do you think this will affect me for a competitive GenSurg residency? People usually go up for step 2, not 30 points down, so it's a strange situation that I was unpleasantly surprised with.

:(

Thanks!

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Wow...

you only gave an hour for a response and you asked your question in the med student forums rather than the residency forums where you might be expected to get more responses. Typical surgeon, so impatient! ;)

Do you have a reasonable explanation why your scores went down? Something that doesn't sound whiny?

Frankly, there is so little surgery on Step 2, IMHO, many surgery programs don't care much about it, unless you fail of course. Step 1 is usually more important...there will be exceptions and since you are still above the US mean for Step 2, there shouldn't be much problem. Expect to be asked about the difference in scores, tho.

About the Ads

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
GMT+9
Status
Attending Physician
Correct me if I am wrong about this, but do you even have to report your step 2?

I was under the impression that it was optional.
It is only optional if you submit your ERAS application before your Step 2 results are available.

heavymetal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Thank you everyone for your responses. Due to a series of technical stupidities that aren't worth getting into, I ended up having my Step 2 scores submitted to the programs I'm applying to.

KimberliCox - my impatience just goes to show my lack of perspective. I have a day off today, so having nothing better to do than continually check for responses certainly contributed to my impatience. Thanks for your input!

I'd definitely like to hear what more of you have to say - mostly for my own piece of mind at this point.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
You can:

- at the time of the exam, decide not to release the scores (and then when you see them, make up your mind)

- at the time of the exam, release the scores

But when you submit your ERAS with the score report from NBME, unless you checked "do not release" when you took Step 2, both scores will automatically be released. No going back. If you do not release the score but have taken it when the NBME report is uploaded, it will say you took the exam but withheld the scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads