Will taking 11 credits look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D3athstroke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my senior year of undergrad, and I've generally taken between 12-14 credits each semester (didn't need to take more because of AP credits).

I wanted to take another class that I need for my major, but I doubt I get off the waitlist. So next semester I will have to take 15 credits to graduate.

I've applied to med schools for this cycle, but in the case I do not get in and have to reapply in the future, I'm just wondering if one semester of 11 credits will look bad. I could take another "filler" course, but I don't really see the point in terms of paying more if there's no benefit. And I've already taken optional classes in my previous semesters to reach that 12+ credits for the semesters.

For those curious, my schedule right now is: Nucleic Acids, Biochemistry of Organelles, Physical Chemistry, and Biochemistry lab (total: 11 credits).

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Just make sure your financial aid stuff is taken care of since I thought 12 credits was full-time

You're fine. Just make sure your financial aid stuff is taken care of since I thought 12 credits was full-time

Hi, thanks. Yes 12 credits is full-time. As of financial aid, I will still receive it (it just auto-adjusts per the amount of credits I am taking).

Members don't see this ad :)
in the case I do not get in and have to reapply in the future, I'm just wondering if one semester of 11 credits will look bad.
The number of academic credits you're taking is less relevant than how busy you look when the entire load you carry is evaluated from what you entered on your application: work, ECs, MCAT study, volunteering, family responsibilities, etc.