Will taking a course Pass/Fail next semester affect my acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cautiousvampire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to a couple schools. I would like to take anatomy Pass/Fail this spring. Is this the kind of thing that I need to contact schools about or is it obviously an ok thing to do? Would hate to have an accepted rescinded over such a minor issue.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Very, very unlikely that they'd care. Just don't fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt they will care. They obviously accepted you because you have something they like. Taking one class pass/fail is not going to change their mind. Failing classes might though, so make sure you do well.

Agreed. Keep the class (like you said you would) and just make sure you pass.

Wishin' I could opt for pass/fail with biochem next semester :)

Shouldn't be a big deal. I got a W this semester and the two schools I was accepted to didn't care.

I was initially taking calc 2, but then halfway through the semester I found out it was no longer required for my degree program. So... I dropped it after calling and verifying it would be okay lol.

I think basically as long as you get your degree, and complete your prereqs with a C or higher... you're fine.

You should call both schools to make sure. You can always call anonymously.

Why would anyone care if you take classes pass/fail... Calling isn't necessary this is just SDN neuroticism

Why would anyone care if you take classes pass/fail... Calling isn't necessary this is just SDN neuroticism

Some schools might care. For example, if you're taking an upper level Immunology or Histology class pass/fail, that might be frowned upon, but I doubt they'd even consider rescinding your acceptance. I would assume they wouldn't care if you were taking a P/F course especially if it was something like golf, tennis, or racquetball, or one of those PE type courses. I wouldn't take an upper level science or major course P/F without asking the school if that'd be okay with them.

If the course is a pre-requisite for medical school, that is bad. Schools require a C or better. Otherwise, for a humanities course, P/F may not mean much...

Some schools might care. For example, if you're taking an upper level Immunology or Histology class pass/fail, that might be frowned upon, but I doubt they'd even consider rescinding your acceptance. I would assume they wouldn't care if you were taking a P/F course especially if it was something like golf, tennis, or racquetball, or one of those PE type courses. I wouldn't take an upper level science or major course P/F without asking the school if that'd be okay with them.

If it's not a prereq it DOESNT MATTER. I took 2 p/f courses this semester and will be taking 2 more next semester. The schools who have accepted me have yet to knock down my door and butt rape me.

Courses in questions: medical imaging signals and systems, bioheat transfer, electrical engineering optics, microelectronics