Will taking the DAT late hurt my chances of admission this cycle?

Jan 1, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
I scheduled my DAT when the prometric testing centers shut down nation-wide due to the pandemic back in late April. The earliest availability for all of the testing centers in a 300-mile radius was late August-early September.

I figured that the summer months were reserved for people who’s tests were cancelled so I scheduled for early September.
I’ve managed to submit my application earlier this month but I’m worried that taking my DAT so late will hurt my chances of acceptance.
But at the same time, I wonder if will admissions committees be understanding of my this, seeing that I had no other choice but to schedule my DAT so late.

NJ_Doc

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
unfortunately, I don't think anyone has that answer. IMO, schools will be giving out invites to people with DAT scores before Sept so you many be over looked. However, I would think schools are understanding and won't fill up a class without allowing people who were affected by closed testing centers a fair chance to be reviewed. Late Aug is not that late this cycle. There's not much you can do so try not to worry too much and do well on the DAT!

also check out the school updates on ADEA. Some schools will review your app before taking the DAT this year, I would definitely apply to those schools(I forget which ones they are)

S_Diamond_DDS

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2015
Status
  1. Dental Student
Speculating here, but I’d assume that if the rest of your app is in good shape, schools will still send you interview invites. And they’ll wait for your DAT score to decide whether they will extend an acceptance. So make sure you score well!

About the Ads

macsak

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2018
Speculating here, but I’d assume that if the rest of your app is in good shape, schools will still send you interview invites. And they’ll wait for your DAT score to decide whether they will extend an acceptance. So make sure you score well!
i can't think of any school that will review your app without a DAT score...

Reactions: 1 user

NJ_Doc

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Dental

multiple schools have updated their protocol due to COVID and have said they will review applications without DAT scores for the 2020-2021 cycle, according to ADEA website.

Jan 26, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Many schools have said they will offer interview invites/review applications without DAT scores, they just cannot accept them without one... I can't see any schools accepting people without a score

Dec 5, 2019
The real question is how much of an advantage it would be for applicants that have already taken the DAT with a decent score

Dec 5, 2019
Meharry, Howard, Tufts, Boston U, University of Tennessee, University of Detroit.
Not true. On ADEA Dental Explorer, it says UDM doesn’t review your application until Official DAT scores are sent in while Tufts requires AT LEAST unofficial scores of DAT. You’d still need to take it before for these two schools. As for Boston and Tennessee, I know Tennessee will consider but Boston has a different requirement. I’m not sure about Howard or Meharry.

About the Ads
Dec 5, 2019
Many schools have said they will offer interview invites/review applications without DAT scores, they just cannot accept them without one... I can't see any schools accepting people without a score
That just makes it even harder for people with lower GPA’s to stand out. Looks like this cycle is going to rely heavily on GPA’s

Apr 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Not true. On ADEA Dental Explorer, it says UDM doesn’t review your application until Official DAT scores are sent in while Tufts requires AT LEAST unofficial scores of DAT. You’d still need to take it before for these two schools. As for Boston and Tennessee, I know Tennessee will consider but Boston has a different requirement. I’m not sure about Howard or Meharry.

Tufts is under review, that’s what AADSAS says and UDM says that & I mailed a photo & a fee & All other schools I listed says under review... please also note with covid a lot of schools are changing their application policies... I was on a zoom call with one of the admissions persons for tufts as she spoke about their process.

Apr 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Tufts is under review, that’s what AADSAS says. UDM I read wrong they received it & I mailed a photo & a fee & All other schools I listed says under review... please also note with covid a lot of schools are changing their application policies... I was on a zoom call with one of the admissions persons for tufts as she spoke about their process.

UDM Says under review also, maybe they just put that there idk but I’m sure they put my application to the side until I send my unofficial scores next week Adjustments.jpg

Dec 5, 2019
Tufts is under review, that’s what AADSAS says. UDM I read wrong they received it & I mailed a photo & a fee & All other schools I listed says under review... please also note with covid a lot of schools are changing their application policies... I was on a zoom call with one of the admissions persons for tufts as she spoke about their process.
Ya but it says on ADEA that tufts still requires an unofficial DAT score before your application can be reviewed while UDM states nothing about reviewing an applicant without any DAT score.

Apr 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Ya but it says on ADEA that tufts still requires an unofficial DAT score before your application can be reviewed while UDM states nothing about reviewing an applicant without any DAT score.

I’m aware they still need my scores, they are getting those on Tuesday. I’m just saying they do look over your application and then place it on hold until they get scores. That’s what I was told by a Tufts admissions personnel.

Apr 24, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
So just to clarify with these schools they will still review the app, but they'll wait until you submit your unofficial DAT scores (fax or email) before they hand out interviews?

0Mik3cho

Dentgineer
Lifetime Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Laniakea Supercluster
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
ADEA Explorer does not include policy updates for COVID-19. Per UDM's website, they will partially review applications without DAT scores. D.D.S. Program Admission | University of Detroit Mercy

Jan 27, 2019
From my understanding, no DAT score, no interview invite at least for the majority of the schools. Essentially, this cycle is no different than any other cycle except for deadline extensions and consideration of unofficial DAT score instead of official. It seems to me “under review” just means the application is complete which is no different than any other year when the application is considered complete even if an applicant haven’t taken the DAT or finished pre-reqs yet.
I know for sure Texas isn’t sending out any interviews until DAT is taken and reported.

Apr 23, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
Never said they are giving out interviews without scores, wouldn’t expect them to do that because the application isn’t complete. Just stating some schools are looking over applications because they understand students weren’t able to schedule how they’d like due to COVID. Changed policies hence the original question in this thread, I do not believe a late DAT will tremendously decrease your chances at school considering a lot of students are in the same boat.

Oct 19, 2019
Status
  1. Dental Student
I took my DAT in October and applied to schools in November... got accepted this cycle to my top choice. Of course submitting earlier helps, but if your application is good and you have a good GPA, you should be fine.

Feb 17, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Dental
My DAT was cancelled and the only dates available are end of December in a close state. I'm tracking everyday prometric to see if I can get an earlier spot. Do you guys think I should contact the dental schools and notify them?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads