Will taking undergrad upper level bio/science classes after completing an SMP/Master's be worthwhile and help bolster my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
So I was wondering, if taking classes after completing an SMP/Master's will be worthwhile? I got around a ~3.5 GPA from the program and was thinking of taking some undergrad upper level bio/science classes (3000 level plus) making 3.7+ GPA in order to help bolster my application? Do you all think this is a great idea and worthwhile endeavor? Why or why not? Thank you all so much for all of your time, insight, advice, and assistance..... it is all greatly appreciated!!!!! ..... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not particularly helpful in my view. Your SMP work shows your academic ability in as close to a medical school setting as possible. What is your original UG record express as an AMCAS GPA Grid
I understand, however do you think it will help bolster my app at all, even if it's only a little? Why or why not? What if they're all 3000 and 4000 level or higher classes? My cGPA is around a 3.02-3.03, and my sGPA is around a 2.72 from undergrad!!!

I understand, however do you think it will help bolster my app at all, even if it's only a little? Why or why not? What if they're all 3000 and 4000 level or higher classes? My cGPA is around a 3.02-3.03, and my sGPA is around a 2.72 from undergrad!!!
What is your MCAT and how many times have you taken it?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your MCAT and how many times have you taken it?
Quite a few times unfortunately..... 498 and 497 with a total score of 502 combined..... will plan to take it by the end of April and score a 510 ideally!!!

Quite a few times unfortunately..... 498 and 497 with a total score of 502 combined..... will plan to take it by the end of April and score a 510 ideally!!!
So just to be clear, you took it twice? How did you prepare and why do you think your previous attempts are not representative of your ability? A big improvement is unlikely unless your preparation is much better on round 3 compared to round 1 and 2.

If you can realistically get >510 on the MCAT, I think time spent on that goal is much better than adding even more classes after an SMP. An SMP is a hail Mary for your GPA; after you do an SMP, you have to be happy with that part of your app and move onto other weakness, which is your MCAT in this case. Also, I assume you are mainly targeting DO schools?

So just to be clear, you took it twice? How did you prepare and why do you think your previous attempts are not representative of your ability? A big improvement is unlikely unless your preparation is much better on round 3 compared to round 1 and 2.

If you can realistically get >510 on the MCAT, I think time spent on that goal is much better than adding even more classes after an SMP. An SMP is a hail Mary for your GPA; after you do an SMP, you have to be happy with that part of your app and move onto other weakness, which is your MCAT in this case. Also, I assume you are mainly targeting DO schools?
I TOTALLY understand what you mean, and I'm wondering though, if the upper level classes would help, if they were classes like histology, molecular biology, anatomy, physiology, immunology, etc? I AM revamping my preparation for the MCAT by using new methods, getting a few study buddys, and more! Any other advice for that? I'm targeting DO and lower tier MD schools mainly!!!

Hey everybody,
So I was wondering, if taking classes after completing an SMP/Master's will be worthwhile? I got around a ~3.5 GPA from the program and was thinking of taking some undergrad upper level bio/science classes (3000 level plus) making 3.7+ GPA in order to help bolster my application? Do you all think this is a great idea and worthwhile endeavor? Why or why not? Thank you all so much for all of your time, insight, advice, and assistance..... it is all greatly appreciated!!!!! ..... :)
At that point, it's like gilding the lily.

@Goro since his sGPA is extremely low (2.7) would taking the upper division classes help assuming(big assumption) that it can boost his sGPA to a 3.0? With his current stats will he even clear an auto screen? I know he did a SMP but I’m not sure how that plays into the auto screening process.

Reactions: 1 user