Will the DO school ever know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CM

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll preface this with saying that I want to go to an osteopathic school. However, I'm also curious as to which allopathic schools I could get into. So I would like to send in an allopathic application also. I realize however that if the osteopathic schools found out about this, it would hurt my chances, because they'd think they were the second choice. My question is, can they find out if you applied to AAMC also? Can they obtain that information, or is the only way they can find out by asking you? Also have any other people out there applied to both and had trouble with the osteopathic schools? My bottom line is that I only want to have to apply once, I might as well give myself all the opportunities that I can. If I didn't get into an osteopathic school, then I would go to allopathic school, rather than wait another year. I'm very curious what others have to say.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats pretty much my reasoning as well when I applied. Dont sweat it, they know that medschool is a crapshoot sometimes so you have to apply to as many as you can. When they questioned me at my interviews, I flat out told them I appplied to both programs and that I will go to the best school that accepts me, DO or MD.

mig

ditto mig!

I applied to all the schools in my home state both alo and osteo. I did not hide this fact and I don't believe it hurt or helped. I chose to go the osteopathic route because it is a much better match for my personal beliefs, even though I have to move out of state and pay 3X the tuition!

Good luck with your apps and your future in medicine.

Eric J
UHS04

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here as well. I was very straightforward at my interviews. I explained my reasons for applying to both and how I would ultimately chose the best school for me, DO or MD. They were very happy with my explanation and it very quickly became a non-issue.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 06-13-2000).]

I have applied to both DO and MD schools as well. The DO schools can only recieve the info on your AACOMAS application but I wouldn't take any chances. Be honest with your interviewers at all times. During my interview at NYCOM, they asked me if I applied to allopathic schools and I told them that I did. I also told them why I preferred osteopathic medicine. Three weeks later I was accepted. Best of luck.

It is a non-issue with most schools. It will probably come up in the interview, but every adcom knows that most people end up applying to both.

Hmmm... according to the dean at western health sciences univ (COMP), they prefer DO-diehards all the way. However, I agree with everyone, do not lie about it.

No, they cannot tell if you have applied to MD schools or not (AMCAS and AACOMAS do not exchange information). But you don't want to lie at an interview -- it just makes it that much easier to trip you up during an interview (besides which it is dishonest). I know someone who tried to BS their way through an interview and then got caught lying. She did not even bother to stay for the tour -- she just took off right after the interview!

I also applied to both programs and was honest about it and I was accepted to both (ACOM was the DO school).

Just some info: UHS put me on the wait list because they thought "I would rather be an MD" I was accepted to DMU and am looking forward to attending. I guess they(UHS) "thought" wrong.

[This message has been edited by fmfcorpsman (edited 06-19-2000).]