Will the flooding of nursing schools affect MD jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juddson

3K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw a report on Lou Dobbs that the so-called "nursing shortage" is being addressed with a vengence. frosh nursing classes are up in some places as much as 300%, as tons and tons of people are flooding into nursing schools for a well paying, steady job with a good outlook.

The question I have is what will a 30% rise in the number of regular nurses over the next 5 years mean for the job outlook for IM's, FP's, etc?

Anybody have any idea?

Judd

Members don't see this ad.

The question I have is what will a 30% rise in the number of regular nurses over the next 5 years mean for the job outlook for IM's, FP's, etc?

probably not much. nursing is notorious for burnout, and there's no overlap between RN and IM/FP training. we should be concerned about the pa's and np's that are training.

Seems to me that more nurses in the workplace is only going to make MD's lives easier. However, I see your point concerning job outlook. I think it won't really affect a doctor's job outlook; On the other hand, if these numbers were for PAs, that might be a little different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably at least 15-20% of the new nurses coming in have goals of being NPs.

NPs are direct competitors with MDs, so yes, a nursing surge WILL affect MDs in both negative and positive ways.

I seriously question the validity of those numbers. There simply are not enough nursing professors to support an increase of that magnitude.

Even if there have been gains made in recruiting, there will still be a serious defecit starting in the next 5 years, as many nurses are now around 43y old. When these nurses start retiring, there will not be enough new nurses to replace them (let alone replace the experience they have).

Instead of worrying about nurses taking the place of physicians, what should be of more concern is whether there will be enough nurses to care for your patients.

this concurs with what i found in writing a research paper. there is indeed a shortage of nursing professors.

as for rn's encroaching on gp's - until rn's can write rx's there's no need to worry that general physicians won't be needed. if anything, i keep hearing there is a shortage of general practitioners.

Originally posted by fab4fan
I seriously question the validity of those numbers. There simply are not enough nursing professors to support an increase of that magnitude.