Will the job of a pharmacist disappear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrArsenic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the new developments in medical technology will there always be a need for pharmacists? Job stability is one of the reasons why I decided to pursue becoming a pharmacist and I was wondering if there will always be pharmacists. I know that you guys cant predict the future but can anyone make an educated guess?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there will always be pharmacists, simply because someone has to be ultimately responsible for the safe and efficacious distribution of drugs, whether it's in hospital, or elsewhere. The question really is, what will pharmacists do in the future, more specifically, in the retail setting. The numbers of people on chronic meds are going up...and so are the numbers of medications on the market. I don't think think the current drug distribution system can handle that. Pharmacists in retail will have to find their niche in a future almost certain to include automation and a more involved and responsible technician staff (unless all you want to do is supervise the robot ;) ).

One of the first courses at my pharmacy school was a "history of pharmacy practice" course, but what they were trying to teach (or preach, really) was the concept of "pharmaceutical care"...using the expertise of pharmacists to allow patients to utilize their drug therapy more efficiently to achieve definitive outcomes that improve their quality of life. That would mean careful monitoring of patient drug regimens. That would also mean operating asthma, diabetes, hyperlipidemia clinics (adjusting meds under collaborative practice agreements with physicians), smoking cessation services, etc. The problem is, pharmacists are still in the process of proving the worth of such services...and they need to prove it to the insurance industry in order to receive compensation for those services. Why would you offer these services to patients if you're not gonna get paid for them?

It's strange really, it's both an exciting and sorta scary time to become a pharmacist, since we are in the process of defining our scope of practice. Even though I'm most likely gonna be in the clinical/hospital setting, how this plays out will help define who and what I am as a pharmacy professional.

Couldn't have said it better myself, LVPharm. By the way DrA, this topic comes up about once every two weeks. Check the search feature and you'll find more information then you'll ever know what to do with.

Jd

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that. I havent been on this board long. Just a couple of days.

oh, it's no problem. We're one, big, happy community. :D I've gotten more information off of this board then I've gotten from any pharmacy school admissions office!

Jd

Originally posted by DrArsenic
With all the new developments in medical technology will there always be a need for pharmacists? Job stability is one of the reasons why I decided to pursue becoming a pharmacist and I was wondering if there will always be pharmacists. I know that you guys cant predict the future but can anyone make an educated guess?

The bureau for labor or bureau of something(government agency) stated that there will be a shortage of pharmacist and great employment opportunities through the year 2010.

So, if you plan to get your pharmD degree before the year 2010, you are in excellent shape.

Plus, unlike the business field, there is no lay off or job cuts in the heath care field unless there is a rare circumstances that requires a hospital or pharmacy chain to shut down.

As long as the law requires medications to be dispensed by a pharmacist , there will be pharmacists.

Not to sound stupid but what does it mean to dispense medication?

ehh.. basically it's just a fancy term meaning to give medication (to patient or whoever else) after a prescription has been presented to the pharmacist.

First, thanks to my handy dictionary:

Verb: dispense
#3. Give or apply, as of medications

Noun: medication
#1. Something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease

Second, I motion to delete this entire thread.

Jd

I second the motion... :)

There should be a "sticky" with links to threads discussing frequently asked questions....but I don't know if we can do that with this forum.