Will the military pay for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, how much? How much do you need to serve?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks those of you who were at least helpful enough to post links.

Give it up. As the link I provided links to the one above that you thanked, ipso facto, it was helpful. However, that would make it redundant. But you are not encouraging anyone to assist you with your fundamental question, and not seeming to have done research that is very easily obtainable. 20 years ago, when I was applying to med school, there was no internet, per se, and your question would have been a much more difficult endeavor to examine.

So, if no one helps you, just don't be surprised. If someone does, great.

The link you provided actually wasn't of much help.

WONDERFUL! Your the perfect match the .milmed is looking for. They like the equally-uninformed and debt-averse people the best!

TDude or dudette, take 30min, browse the forums, the stickies, the .milmed apologists and .milmed haters have been here since at least 2005.

Med school will require much more than asking people for easy answers.

Medicine itself is even harder.

Good luck.

The link you provided actually wasn't of much help.

You may find that people aren't being super helpful because you already posted this in the forum that has the answers you seek stickied at the top of the page. First and second sticky thread at the top of the forum would be a good starting place for you. Get reading.

I am quite amused that this very thread is already in the top 10 for search results using that link.

Go Navy! Are you still practicing with the Navy?

Will the military pay for medical school?

Maybe. You have to apply for a scholarship (HPSP) or be accepted at their own medical school, the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences. There are sticky threads on both subjects.

If so, how much?

All of it.

How much do you need to serve?

Scholarship is year for year, not including extra training like internship and residency. USUHS is 7 years not including internship and residency.

Go Navy! Are you still practicing with the Navy?

Yes, still paying back my owed time.

Currently revisiting whether or not I'll get out when my payback is up, or do the 8 extra years (which would include a funded outservice fellowship at MSP pay levels) and get the retirement package. Financially believe it or not staying in the Navy is probably the better choice, but lots of factors there.

Maybe. You have to apply for a scholarship (HPSP) or be accepted at their own medical school, the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences. There are sticky threads on both subjects.

There's also FAP.

I'm glad that the military can help pay for medical school. Serving your country + practicing medicine = :) I guess in a sense practicing medicine is serving your country in it's self. Assuming you're good at it.