Will the Navy fund an MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtrainer

San Antonio bound!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone interested in both the clinical and business/management side of medicine, I was curious if the Navy ever pays for an MBA for some physicians? If not, I would wonder if they will give you a deferment to complete the training (like they do for civilian residency). I would assume that they would want some physicians with business training.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can use the GI bill to fund it, later, if you think it's something you want to do. However, don't expect them to pay for your MBA while you are in medical school (dual program); they won't. That's about as much as I know. I can't speak about residency or deferments to seek an MBA, since I'm not there yet. As to the military needing physicians with MBA's, actually, I heard just the opposite; they don't need them. I could have misheard, or remembered incorrectly, however. If so, please disregard.

Thanks. I was thinking further on in one's career (let's say 5-10 years out of residency). I recently saw a powerpoint presentation which floated the idea of making it a requirement for 0-5/0-6 physicians in certain command billets to have an MBA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I was thinking further on in one's career (let's say 5-10 years out of residency). I recently saw a powerpoint presentation which floated the idea of making it a requirement for 0-5/0-6 physicians in certain command billets to have an MBA.

There are some Duty Under Instruction programs (DUINS), but not usually for MBAs. You could also use Tuition Assistance.

There are some Duty Under Instruction programs (DUINS), but not usually for MBAs. You could also use Tuition Assistance.
Quick question about the GI bill. Since I already used the GI bill for college, am I eligible once I go back on AD after school is over and pay into it a second time to qualify for it again?

Quick question about the GI bill. Since I already used the GI bill for college, am I eligible once I go back on AD after school is over and pay into it a second time to qualify for it again?

I don't think so. It is generally a one shot deal. Check with the VA for confirmation.