Will the Navy fund an MBA?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by dtrainer, Jun 5, 2008.

1. dtrainer

dtrainer San Antonio bound!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    As someone interested in both the clinical and business/management side of medicine, I was curious if the Navy ever pays for an MBA for some physicians? If not, I would wonder if they will give you a deferment to complete the training (like they do for civilian residency). I would assume that they would want some physicians with business training.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You can use the GI bill to fund it, later, if you think it's something you want to do. However, don't expect them to pay for your MBA while you are in medical school (dual program); they won't. That's about as much as I know. I can't speak about residency or deferments to seek an MBA, since I'm not there yet. As to the military needing physicians with MBA's, actually, I heard just the opposite; they don't need them. I could have misheard, or remembered incorrectly, however. If so, please disregard.

4. dtrainer

dtrainer San Antonio bound!
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks. I was thinking further on in one's career (let's say 5-10 years out of residency). I recently saw a powerpoint presentation which floated the idea of making it a requirement for 0-5/0-6 physicians in certain command billets to have an MBA.

5. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are some Duty Under Instruction programs (DUINS), but not usually for MBAs. You could also use Tuition Assistance.

6. Milamber

Milamber Grand Poomba
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Quick question about the GI bill. Since I already used the GI bill for college, am I eligible once I go back on AD after school is over and pay into it a second time to qualify for it again?

7. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think so. It is generally a one shot deal. Check with the VA for confirmation.