Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Will the new MCAT cut down on applicants?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by meetsub, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. meetsub

meetsub 5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I feel like many people will opt out of pre-med due to the unneeded stress of the new exam. I took the old one and that was torturous itself.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. seizurecrow

seizurecrow

Medical Student (Accepted)
    If premeds are willing to opt out of medicine because of a modified entrance exam, medicine probably wasn't right for them to begin with. You'll face challenges in medical school that are more difficult than the mcat.

4. user12

user12 2+ Year Member

I don't know. I feel like this new mcat is overhyped. it will probably take some getting used to, but I bet in like a year or two once a sufficient amount of practice material is produced and people are used to psych/sociology/biochemistry, it's not going to be THAT bad.

5. allantois

allantois 2+ Year Member

I find this to be good news.

6. freemontie

freemontie Banned Banned

No, I don't think that's how it works. People choose pre-med, invest 2+ semesters starting to take pre-med courses, and then look into the MCAT. By then they've already made up their minds and will go full stride.

The effect the MCAT will have though is lowered (absolute) scores as people have more material they have to study/review (it's hard to master so many topics). I think this would give gunners greater room to shine.

mgjones527 likes this.
  7. Make Or Break

Make Or Break 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Exactly! I don't think people remember the exam is SCALED.

8. Lucca

Lucca Will Walk Rope for Sandwich 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Rocket
    Scientist
    God Bless the Bell Curve

9. Ismet

Ismet PGY-fun SDN Administrator 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    1) If people opt out of pre-med because the MCAT added a new section, they shouldn't have been pre-med in the first place

2) Get ready for a whole new level of torture with the standardized exams waiting for you in med school.

10. Gauss44

Gauss44 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    "Probably" is a good word. Some people are very intelligent, very capable, have a wide variety of interests, and could be good at almost anything. For a person like that, the new MCAT could be a tie breaker between medicine and another enticing career.

Response to title: Yes, the new MCAT will knock some older applicants out of the race and some of the poorer students. Not exactly what the OP is about, yet I assure you that some of the 30 or 40-somethings are NOT going to be too keen about learning a whole new MCAT.

To be fair to AAMC, I do think that including psychology and sociology requirements is an excellent change. I wish that AAMC would offer both exams for a while, given that this exam often requires such a huge investment in time, money, etc.

Last edited: 09.21.14
  11. DielsAlder

DielsAlder

Medical Student
    I disagree, the AAMC could make this exam last an entire month (knock on wood) and I believe people would still line up to take it. The only difference I think it is making is that this current application year would see way more applicants than ever expected, with people from all over going out of their way to take MCAT 2014 and apply now before the new exam goes into effect. I might be wrong, but I heard many schools will start to prefer the newer MCAT next cycle.

12. Flashfan

Flashfan 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Very few people will feel that they are affected by the new test. In a few years, it is simply "the MCAT". It is not uncommon for people to take biochemistry already, and psych and sociology will simply cover most general education requirements. The biggest disadvantage will be how the adcoms will compare the scores of the old MCAT (and the applicants access to multiple test prep materials) to the new applicants with 2 sample tests for prep material.

Strudel19 likes this.
  13. Strudel19

Strudel19 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    As someone who is taking the pre-2015 MCAT, this is what I'm curious about too.

14. zzxxzz

zzxxzz 2+ Year Member

It'll have no impact. They're cutting down on physics which is what kills a lot of people.

15. Evisju7

Evisju7

Pre-Medical

Hahaha. Bring it

VVH1003 likes this.
  16. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Unless you found official proof, I'm going to say that it's a false rumor. There's no reason for med schools to prefer their applicants take a test that's only been offered for a couple months. They would be discriminating against MANY, GREAT applicants that way, since the vast majority of their applicants next cycle will have taken the old MCAT.

I doubt most schools even know what they're going to do about the new and old MCAT mix as of now.

DielsAlder likes this.
  17. raiderette

raiderette 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  18. Aerus

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Probably because they realize how stupid it is to require/prefer the new MCAT immediately after it comes out.

19. Elizabethx89

Elizabethx89 Banned Banned

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 09.23.14
  20. Aerus

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Organic Chemistry 2 is part of the old MCAT though. You're avoiding the new MCAT because it requires you to take a class that is required by a class required by the old MCAT?

21. Elizabethx89

Elizabethx89 Banned Banned

Pre-Medical

Last edited: 09.23.14
    Aerus likes this.
  22. Aerus

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Ah okay. Gotcha. Best of luck!